Scrambled Egg, Bean, and Potato Bowls
Recipe makes: 3 servings (1/3 of recipe per serving)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 to 45 minutes
Equipment: one oven, one stove or hotplate, one 33*23 cm (9*13-inch) baking tray, parchment paper (optional), one knife, two medium bowls, one spoon, spatula, two large non-stick frying pans, one fork or whisk, one rubber spatula, one spatula, one grater, cutting board, on strainer, three serving bowls
What you need to make this recipe:
- 2 medium Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 6 medium or large eggs
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 1 540 mL can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 avocado, peeled, cored, and sliced
- 9 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- ½ cup shredded low fat cheddar cheese
- 6 tablespoons salsa
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Cooking spray or butter
How to make Scrambled Egg, Bean, and Potato Bowls:
- Preheat the oven to 205°C (400°F).
- Lightly grease the baking tray with cooking spray or butter. The tray can be lined with parchment paper instead of greasing it.
- Put the potatoes in a medium bowl. Add ¼ teaspoon of the pepper to the potatoes. Mix, using a spoon, until the potatoes are evenly coated with pepper.
- Spread the potatoes out evenly on the prepared tray.
- Roast the potatoes in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, take the potatoes out of the oven and flip using a spatula. Roast for another 15 to 20 minutes or until the potatoes are golden brown.
- While the potatoes are roasting complete Steps 7 to 13.
- Crack the eggs into a second medium bowl. Using a fork or whisk, beat the eggs until the yolks and whites are combined.
- Heat one of the frying pans over medium low heat on the stove. Put the butter in the pan.
- When the butter is melted, move it around the pan using a rubber spatula. The bottom and sides of the pan should be coated in butter.
- Pour the eggs into the frying pan.
- Cook the eggs, gently moving the rubber spatula across the bottom and sides of the pan every few minutes to create soft egg curds. Cook until the eggs are firm and there is no liquid egg left.
- When the eggs are cooked, take them off the stove. Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of the pepper evenly over the scrambled eggs.
- Heat the second frying pan over low heat on the stove.
- Put the black beans in the pan. Heat, stirring every few minutes, until the beans are warm. When the beans are warm, take them off the stove.
- To make the Scramble Egg, Bean, and Potato Bowls: Put 1/3 of the roasted potatoes, scrambled eggs, and beans in a bowl. Top with 1/3 of the avocado, tomatoes, shredded cheese, salsa, and green onion.
- Serve the bowls warm.
Contains eggs and milk.
May contain wheat and gluten.
About this recipe:
Avocados are a fruit that have a tough skin and large pit. The inside of an avocado is light green and has a soft texture, creamy texture. Before eating an avocado, it needs to be washed and peeled and the pit removed. It is also important to wait until an avocado is ripe before eating it. A ripe avocado feels softs when you gently squeeze it.
Avocados and cherry tomatoes both contain Vitamin C. Getting enough Vitamin C in your diet can help your body build and repair muscle, bones, and skin.
To make this recipe milk-free: (1) use vegetable oil or a plant-based butter instead of butter, and (2) a plant-based cheese.
To make this recipe wheat and gluten-free, use certified gluten-free black beans.
The canned black beans can be replaced with canned lentils or a different type of canned beans, like chickpeas.
This recipe is best served fresh, but it can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.