Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that you may have some questions about the program, costs and funding, and the application procedure.

What is the difference between the MEd, the MA Ed, the MA SP, and the RMA?

The Master of Education (MEd) is an applied (non-thesis) program that will require you to complete graduate courses and, in some cases, a practicum or internship.
The Master of Arts in Education (MA Ed) is a thesis-based program that will require you to complete a combination of coursework and a thesis.
The Research Master of Arts (RMA) is a research-intensive, thesis-based program that will you require you to complete a thesis and, in some cases, coursework to make a significant contribution to the body of knowledge in the field of Education.
The Master of Arts (MA) School Psychology program is a two-year, full-time thesis-based master’s degree program. The School Psychology program includes coursework, practicum, and research, which culminates in a 600-hour internship. Most graduates from this program work as psychologists in the school system.

What is the inter-university PhD in Educational Studies?

The Inter-University Doctoral Program in Educational Studies is a co-administered and co-delivered by three participating universities: Mount Saint Vincent University, Acadia University, and St. Francis Xavier University. Doctoral students receive their degree from the home institution of their supervisor, but all candidates take their courses together as a community of learners.

How long does the Master’s program take to complete?

Completion times vary. Depending on the course availability, and whether you want to study full-time or part-time, you can finish the MEd in as little as a year, or the MA or RMA in as little as two years.
Part-time students have up to five years to complete the degree requirements, but most part-time students earn their degrees in two to four years.
The PhD is a full-time program.

Do you offer flexible learning options?

Yes! Many of our Master’s students work full- or part-time, have families, and other personal and professional commitments. We offer a variety of learning options, including full- or part-time enrolment, cohorts in Halifax, Mississauga ON, and various cities across the Atlantic Provinces, online courses via distance education, and evening and weekend classes.

If I have an interest in pursuing the MA, RMA, or PhD, how do I find information about the research backgrounds of potential supervisors?

Visit the faculty profile page to learn about the academic interests of faculty members.

What careers will the MEd, MA Ed, and RMA prepare me for?

Graduates from our program are teachers; educators in the corporate, government, arts, health, and not-for-profit sectors; PhD candidates; professors, researchers, and instructors in colleges and universities; administrators and policy-makers.

What is the expected workload?

Graduate students should come prepared to do a greater amount of reading and independent study, compared to undergraduate students. Classes normally meet once a week in a three-hour seminar format where students analyze and discuss assigned readings. Graduate students are expected to go beyond the assigned readings to broaden their knowledge.

Do you offer any scholarships, awards or financial aid?

Our graduate students are eligible for several internal and external scholarships vetted by the Mount’s Office of Graduate Studies. Visit the Office of Graduate Studies’ Research and Funding page for more information on scholarships, bursaries, assistantships, and other funding opportunities.

Applicants will automatically be considered for entrance scholarships. We also encourage all applicants to apply for external awards, including Canada Graduate Scholarships.

What are the program costs?

Consult the Graduate Academic Calendar for a full and up-to-date listing of tuition and fees.

How do I apply?

First, complete the Graduate Online Application form. This page contains instructions on how to complete the form, and how to pay the application fee.
Next, download the Graduate Supplementary Application package. This package will contain information on obtaining two letters of reference and submitting a Statement of Intent.
Information on applying to the PhD can be found on the program website.

Do both my references have to be academic references?

Applicants with work experience in the field who have been away from the classroom for some time may use one academic reference and one professional reference.

How should I instruct my referees?

You should provide you referees with the reference form contained in the Graduate Supplementary Application package. You should request that your referees provide us with specific examples of your abilities, knowledge, professional experience and motivation for advanced study in Education. We encourage referees to attach a more detailed letter of reference to the reference form.

Do I need the GMAT?

No, a GMAT score is not required.

What is the application deadline?

The deadline changes from year to year but is usually around mid-February. Please consult the Graduate Academic Calendar for the year you are applying.

What if I missed the application deadline?

While all candidates who apply by the deadline are guaranteed consideration, we continue to review applications until the program is full.

May I transfer credits to obtain advanced standing?

If you have completed graduate curses before applying to the program, your file will be assessed on an individual basis to determine which courses might be applied to this degree.

Who makes the admission decision?

The Admissions Office will ensure that your file is complete. Complete files are then forwarded to the departmental graduate studies committee, which makes the final decision.