The Library oversees 9 Student Seminar (Group Study) Rooms on campus: 3 in EMF and 6 in McCain.
Group Study Room Policy:
Student Seminar Rooms (“Student Group Study Rooms”) are reserved for the use of current Mount Saint Vincent University (MSVU) students engaged in group work or group study.
- Student Group Study Rooms are not available for paid tutoring, classroom use, faculty or staff use, solo study, or use by non-MSVU students
- Faculty and staff must contact Conference Services (902-457-6355) to arrange room bookings.
- Tutors are encouraged to contact the Students’ Union for more information about available spaces.
- Students in need of solo study space are encouraged to use the Library’s study carrels and quiet zones.
- Students found using the seminar rooms alone, especially during busy times, may be asked to move.
- A valid MSVU barcode and PIN is required to access the booking system. The MSVU barcode is the 14-digit number on your student ID card, which also serves as your Library card. Your PIN is usually the last 4 digits of your phone number. If you can’t get into your account, contact library staff at 902-457-6250. We can update your account for you.
- Two students with valid MSVU ID cards must be available to pick up the room key.
- Reservations are limited to two hours per student per day.
- To make additional bookings later in the week, wait until 9 AM the day after your last booking has ended/expired.
- Online reservations may be made any time during the current week, beginning 8 AM on Monday morning.
- Bookings are available in 1-hour time slots, to a maximum of 2 hours per student per day.
- Online reservations must be made at least 1 hour in advance.
- Last-minute room bookings (requests made less than 1 hour in advance) must be completed in person by Library staff. Last-minute bookings are first come, first served. Please be patient! We will do our best to accommodate you.
- At the discretion of Library staff, keys may be signed out for longer periods of time to accommodate back-to-back bookings by multiple students.
Fees and penalties:
- Students more than 15 minutes late for key check-out will be considered no-shows. If another group wants that room, the first booking will be cancelled.
- If you need to cancel your booking, please call the Library at 902-457-6250.
- Rooms must be vacated and keys returned on time to avoid late fines.($5.00/hr)
- To avoid additional late fines, keys must be returned to the Library desk 15 minutes before the Library closes.
- There is a $40.00 charge for the replacement of lost keys (swipe cards).
- Students are responsible for the condition of rooms, equipment, and keys.
- If you notice mess or damage in a seminar room, please contact Library staff immediately. Do not wait until the end of your booking, or you may be held responsible.
- Rooms are not sound proof. Please respect fellow students by keeping noise levels to a minimum. Please keep voices low when travelling to and from study rooms. if other students complain about noise levels during your booking time, your group may be asked to leave.
Booking a room:
- Have your MSVU ID barcode number and library PIN ready.
- Use the “Book” links below to log in. The login screen will open in a new tab so that you can continue to consult these instructions.
- Enter your barcode and PIN (usually the last 4 digits of your phone number). Click the “Go” button.
- Click on an available block to book that hour. Grey = available. Black = unavailable. Red = your bookings.
- A dialog box will appear. Click “OK” to confirm your booking.
- On the next screen, verify the information and click the “Go” button. The booking will not be active until you click “Go.” (To change the booking, click the “Back” button).
- To view your bookings, click the My Library Account tab.Your bookings will appear in red.
Checking out your room key:
- Come to the Library’s front desk with one of your group members. Library staff will scan the ID card of the person who made the booking, and add a 2nd person’s ID card to the booking.
- Fill in the Key sign-out form. Library staff will sign out the key on your account.
- Let Library staff know if you need white board markers.
- Let Library staff know if your group members have back-to-back bookings under different names. We will sign out the key for additional time.
- During busy times, you will be provided with a room booking slip. You may also request a copy of this slip.
Checking in your room key:
- Please return room keys on time to avoid late charges ($5/hr, or $40 for a lost key).
- If you are unable to return the key before the Library closes, please deposit it in one of our book bins (Rosaria and Seton) or in our external book drop (on the path behind EMF).
- Bookings should be made online, at least 1 hour in advance.
- Last-minute room requests at the desk are first come, first served. We will do our best to accommodate you. Please be patient!
Questions? Phone 457-6250 or email firstname.lastname@example.org