Required Documents for Practicum
In response to recommendations made by the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner for Nova Scotia, the CYS department will no longer be collecting Child Abuse Registry letters, Vulnerable Sector Checks, Criminal Record Checks, or First Aid Certificates. It is now the student’s responsibility to produce these documents to their practicum placement location on the FIRST day of practicum.
Failure to obtain these documents by the mandatory meeting will result in automatic removal from practicum.
Child Abuse Registry:
APPLY ONLINE: When you apply online you need to upload any supporting documents in PDF, JPG, or PNG format. CLICK HERE to apply ONLINE.
Vulnerable Sector Check (includes Criminal Record Check):
If you live in HRM please request your VSC (includes CRC) through Sterling Backcheck
If you reside outside HRM, please visit your local Police or RCMP Station. If you need a letter of confirmation, please contact the Child and Youth Study Administrative Assistant at email@example.com. Reminder: Please include your student number with your request.
Emergency First-Aid & CPR “C”/AED
Emergency First-Aid & CPR “C”/AED can be obtained through any certified vendor – this will no longer be offered through the department.
Make sure your documentation is valid and up-to-date!
In accordance with the current NS Early Learning and Child Care Act, Child Abuse Register and Vulnerable Sector Checks (includes Criminal Record Checks) must be updated regularly as follows:
- Child Abuse Registry – must be dated within 6 months of starting your practicum and must be in the hands of the student by the mandatory meeting.
- Vulnerable Sector Check – must be dated within 6 months of starting your practicum and must be in the hands of the student by the mandatory meeting.
- Emergency First Aid & CPR”C”/AED – must be valid, i.e., not expired.
- Terms and Conditions of Practicum – must be read and understood by the Department deadline (will be forwarded via email prior to the mandatory meeting).
- Student Confidentiality Agreement – must be signed by the Department deadline (will be forwarded via email prior to the mandatory meeting).
Students studying outside Nova Scotia/CANADA must adhere to the document requirements of their Province/Country.
*ALL students are required to attend the mandatory meeting.
If you are considering an IWK placement – please contact our Practicum Coordinator, Ms. Jennifer Miller Jennifer.Miller8@msvu.ca (NO PLACEMENT is guaranteed)