What is the difference between Order and Chaos, and which should we prefer? Religious Studies explores this question through courses that cover religious systems from around the world; specific topics such as food, sexuality, political rebellion and popular culture; and overarching themes like Evil (RELS 2201) and — for the particularly adept — Advanced Evil (RELS 3380).
You will also have the opportunity to consider questions such as:
- Why is “sin” so much fun? Why are the punishments for disobedience so unfortunate?
- Do arguments between humans and divine beings ever turn out well?
- What is the relationship between politics and religion? Should there be one?
- Why are there five “big religions” and what are the others?
- How do rituals restore order? Can symbols transcend reason as a vehicle for truth?
- Is gender a human construction, a cosmic reality, or both? And how would we know?
Religious Studies classes are full of lively discussion and open-ended inquiry. Everyone from gamers and geeks, to historians, philosophers. social critics, lovers of literature, science students and cultural analysts have found Religious Studies to be a perfect complement to their learning.
Explore what Religious Studies has to offer and you will never be bored.