Banana Lentil Muffins
Recipe makes: 12 servings (1 muffin per serving)
Preparation time: 45 to 60 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Equipment: one set of measuring cups, one set of measuring spoons, one medium pot, one stove or hotplate, one strainer, one blender or food processor, two small bowls, four spoons, one oven, one 12-cup muffin tray, parchment paper (optional), one medium mixing bowl, one large mixing bowl, one rubber spatula, one pair of oven mitts, one butter knife, one fork, one cooling rack or large plate
What you need to make this recipe:
½ cup dried green lentils, rinsed
2 cups + 2 ½ tablespoons water
1 tablespoon flaxseed meal
½ tablespoon chia seeds
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup canola oil
½ cup sugar
1 cup mashed banana (about 3 medium bananas)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to make Banana Lentil Muffins:
Step 1: Make a lentil puree
- Put the lentils and 1 ½ cups of water in a medium pot. Heat over medium high heat until the lentil mixing is gently boiling.
- Turn the heat down to low and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the lentils are soft.
- Drain the lentils using a strainer.
- Put the cooked lentils and ¼ cup of water in a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth.
Step 2: Make a chia seed gel (Do this when the lentils are cooking)
- Put the chia seeds and ¼ cup of water in a small bowl and stir together using a spoon.
- Let sit for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
Step 3: Make a flaxseed gel (Do this when the lentils are cooking)
- Put the flaxseed and 2 ½ tablespoons of water in a small bowl and stir together using a spoon.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.
Step 4: Make the muffin batter
- Preheat the oven to 205°C (400°F).
- Prepare a 12-cup muffin tray:
Option 1: Lightly grease each cup in the tray with cooking spray.
Option 2: Lightly grease each cup in the tray with butter using parchment paper.
Option 3: Put one muffin liner in each cup of the tray.
- Put the flour, baking soda, and baking powder in a medium bowl. Stir together using a spoon.
- Put the lentil puree, chia seed gel, flaxseed gel, oil, sugar, banana, and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir together using a spoon.
- Add the lentil mixture to the flour mixture. Using a rubber spatula, mix until combined.
- Fill each cup in the muffin tray ¾ full with batter.
- Bake the muffins in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in the tray for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take the muffins out of the muffin tray by running a butter knife between the side of each muffin and the wall of the tray. Use a clean fork to lift each muffin out of the tray. Put the muffins on cooling rack or plate to finish cooling.
Contains wheat and gluten.
About this recipe:
Lentils contain fibre. Getting enough fibre in your diet can help keep your gut healthy.
The muffins can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for two to three days or in the fridge for three to four days. The muffins can also be frozen for up to three months.
Nutrition Facts Table