Beyond Breakfast Bars
Recipe makes: 12 servings (1 bar per serving)
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Equipment: 8*8-inch (20*20 cm) baking pan, large bowl, medium bowl, two spoons, spatula, oven, oven mitts, dish towel, knife
1 ½ cups quick cooking oats
¾ cup brown sugar
¾ cup flaxseed meal
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
1 banana, mashed
¼ cup skim milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking oil spray or butter
How to make Beyond Breakfast Bars:
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Lightly grease an 8*8-inch (20*20 cm) baking pan with cooking oil spray or butter.
- In a large bowl, stir together the oats, brown sugar, flaxseed meal, flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the banana, skim milk, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking pan.
- Press the batter evenly into the pan using the back of a spoon or rubber spatula.
- Bake bars in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cover the pan with a dish towel. Cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut into 12 bars using a knife.
- Lift bars out of the pan using a clean spatula. Serve.
Contains wheat, gluten, milk, and egg.
To make recipe gluten-free, use certified gluten-free quick cooking oats and all-purpose gluten-free flour.
The mashed banana can be replaced with 1/3 cup of unsweetened apple sauce.
Bars can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.