Dr. Shuyue Huang
Dr. Shuyue Huang
Tourism and Hospitality Management
Office: McCain Centre 406G
Phone: 902 457 6675
Fax: 902 445 2582
Office Hours: By appointment.
PhD (University of Guelph), MSc (Sun Yat-Sen University), BSc (Sun Yat-Sen University)
Authorized Instructor for the Certification in Hotel Industry Analytics (CHIA)
Authorized Instructor for the Certification in Advanced Hospitality and Tourism Analytics (CAHTA)
Joined the Mount: 2019
Relevant Prior Work Experience:
Assistant Professor, School of Tourism & Hospitality, Universidade Europeia, Lisbon, Portugal (2017-2019)
Tourist engagement, value co-creation, destination development, sustainable tourism, creative tourism, (cross-cultural) tourist behavior, cruise tourism, tourism modeling, and scholarship of teaching and learning (SOTL)
Academic Activities and Publications:
- Huang, S. (2023). Customer engagement conceptualization and conceptual links (pp.56-72). In R. A. Rather & H. Ramkissoon (Eds.), Handbook of customer engagement in tourism marketing. Edward Elgar Publishing Ltd. https://www.e-elgar.com/shop/gbp/handbook-of-customer-engagement-in-tourism-marketing-9781802203936.html
- Huang, S., & Choi, H.S. C. (2017). Cruise tourism. In L. Lowry (Ed.), The SAGE international encyclopedia of travel and tourism (pp. 316-318). Thousand Oaks: SAGE Publications, Inc.
Huang, S. (2018). Book Review: Cruise Ship Tourism Edited by Dowling, R. & Weeden, C. Tourism Analysis, 23(3), 441-442.
Huang, S. & Liang, L.J. (2022). Understanding hotel service failures. encyclopedia.pub/entry/20569.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- Huang, S., Matthews, M., Liang, J., & Choi, H.S.C. (2023). Instrumental support and its impact on psychological capital and well-being in online learning: A study of hospitality and tourism students. Creative Education (accepted).
- Huang, S., Liang, L, Choi, H.S.C., & Pang, S. F. H. (2023). Canadians’ travel knowledge acquisition during the pandemic: A cognitive mediation model approach. Family and Consumer Sciences Research Journal. https://doi.org/10.1111/fcsr.12480
- Huang, S., Liang, L.J., & Choi, H.S.C. (2022). How we failed in context: A text-mining approach to understanding hotel service failures. Sustainability, 14(5), 2675. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14052675.
- Wan, Z., Huang, S., & Choi, H. C. (2022). Modification and validation of the travel safety attitude scale (TSAS) in international tourism: a reflective-formative approach. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Insights, 5(5), 1002-1021.
- Huang, S., &Yi, S. (2021). Exploring creative tourist experience: A text-mining approach based on TripAdvisor reviews of a cooking workshop in Lisbon, Portugal. Revista Turismo & Desenvolvimento, 36(1), 135-148.
- Huang, S., Choi, H. C., Shen, Y., & Chang, H. (2021). Predicting behavioral intention: The mechanism from pre-trip to post-trip. Tourism Analysis, 26(2-3), 2-3.
- Shen, Y., Huang, S., Choi, H. S. C., & Morrison, A. M. (2021). Does brand love matter to casual restaurants? A multi-group path analysis. Journal of Hospitality Marketing & Management, 1-25.
- Choi, H. S. C., Huang, S., Choi, H., & Chang, H. (2020). The effect of flight attendants’ physical attractiveness on satisfaction, positive emotion, perceived value, and behavioral intention. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 44(1), 19-29.
- Huang, S. & Choi, H.S.C. (2019). Developing and validating a multidimensional tourist engagement scale (TES). The Service Industries Journal (Special Issue- Consumer Engagement), 39(7-8), 469-497.
- Shen, Y., Joppe, M., Choi, H.S.C., & Huang, S. (2018). Domestic tourism of Chinese in Canada: Distinct differences. Journal of Destination Marketing & Management, 8, 125-136.
- Huang, S., & Choi, H.S.C. (2017). Understanding Canadian and US tourists: A self-concept-based segmentation study. European Journal of Tourism Research, 16, 201-213.
- Choi, H.S.C., Huang, S., Khazaei, A., & Flaherty, J. (2017). Segmenting wine tourists in Niagara, Ontario using motivation and involvement. International Journal of Tourism Sciences, 17 (3), 198 -212.
- Aung, M., Bahramirad, S., Burga, R., Hayhoe, M., Huang, S., & LeBlanc, J. (2017). Sense-making accountability: Netnographic study of an online public perspective. Social and Environmental Accountability Journal, 37(1), 18-32.
- Huang, S., LeBlanc, J., & Choi, H.S. C. (2016). How do Chinese tourists differ from Caucasian tourists? An empirical study from the perspective of tourists’ self-concept. International Journal of Tourism Sciences, 16(4), 222-237.
Selected Peer-Reviewed Conference Presentations:
- Matthews, M., Huang, S. (2023). Addressing barriers to faculty temporary mobility in international collaborative programs: A case study. Presentation at the 2023 International Society of Travel and Tourism Educators (ISTTE) Conference, Toronto, Canada, October 11-13.
- Zhou, F., Huang, S., Matthews, M. (2023). Understanding solo female travellers: A two-factor analysis of hotel satisfaction and dissatisfaction in Canada using TripAdvisor reviews. Presentation at the 2023 Atlantic Schools of Business Conference, Halifax, Canada, September 22-24.
- Liang, J., Huang, S., Choi, H.S.C. (2023). Understanding domestic and international travel intentions post-pandemic: A cross-regional comparison. Presentation at the 2023 Travel and Tourism Research Association Europe Chapter, Dijon, France, April 24-26.
- Huang, S., &Yi, S. (2023). Demystifying tourists’ local cooking class experience: An activity theory approach. Presentation at the 3rd International Workshop on Innovation, Culture, and Tourism. Toulouse, France, March 15-16.
- Zhou, F., Huang, S., & Matthews, M. (2023). Satisfiers and dissatisfiers amongst solo female travellers: Hotel experience based on TripAdvisor reviews. Presentation at the 28th Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism. Anaheim, C.A., U.S.A, January 6-7.
- Finn, C., Liang, J., Choi, H.S.C., & Huang, S. (2023). Examining the effect of psychological benefits of sport event hosting on residents’ support and well-being. Presentation at the 28th Annual Graduate Education and Graduate Student Research Conference in Hospitality and Tourism. Anaheim, C.A., U.S.A, January 6-7.
- Huang, S., Liang, J., & Choi, H.S.C. (2022). Understanding factors influencing Canadians’ travel knowledge during the COVID-19 pandemic: Cognitive mediation model. Presentation at the 2022 Travel and Tourism Research Association International Conference, Victoria, Canada, June 13-16.
- Huang, S., Liang, J., Matthews, M., & Choi, H.S.C. (2022). How does teachers’ emotional support impact tourism and hospitality students’ online learning experience during the COVID pandemic? Presentation at the 2022 Asia-Pacific CHRIE Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. May 23-25.
- Matthews, M., Huang, S. Liang, J., & Choi, H.S.C. (2022). The relationships between instrumental support, psychological capital, school satisfaction and psychological well-being in the era of COVID-19. Presentation at the 2022 International CHRIE Conference. Washington, D.C., U.S.A., August 3-6.
Peer-Reviewed Conference Proceedings
- Huang, S (2020). Revealing the structure of the Canadian tourism market: An analysis based on Geographic Information Systems (GIS). Proceedings of the 2020 Travel and Tourism Research Association International Conference. Victoria, Canada, June 16-18.
- Liang, J., Huang, S., & Choi, H.S.C. (2019). Understanding hotel guest experience: A text-mining approach. Proceedings of the 2019 International Travel and Tourism Research Association Conference, Melbourne, Australia, June 25-27.
- Liang, J., Shen, Y., Huang, S., & Choi, H.S.C. (2019). Mapping brand perception towards Canada Difference among four markets. Proceedings of the 2019 APacCHRIE & EuroCHRIE Joint Conference. Hong Kong, China, May 23-25.