There can be a lot to take in during the first few weeks of classes. Use the checklist below to help set yourself up for a successful first semester. Keep track online or download a PDF copy of Mount 101’s Your First Six Weeks at MSVU Checklist.
Your First Six Weeks at MSVU
Week 1: Plan (September 5-9)
September 5-9, 2022
- Read your course outlines.
- Write down all your deadlines, tests, and important dates in a planner. Tip: Use the Mount 101 semester planner to see everything at a glance.
- Log into your MSVU email and start checking it daily.
- Pick up your student ID and UPass.
- Download the EllucianGo app.
- Explore the campus and locate your classes.
- Register with Accessibility Services, if required.
Week 2: Connect (September 12-16)
September 12-16, 2022
- Create a weekly schedule that includes your classes, dedicated study time for each class, volunteer and work commitments, time for yourself, and any other responsibilities.
- Say hello to one person in each class.
- Introduce yourself to your professors.
- Find out how to get involved at the society and volunteer fair, September 13, 11:00-1:30, McCain Atrium.
- Join a club or society through the MSVUSU. Don’t see one that interests you? Consider creating your own!
- Log onto careerconnects.msvu.ca to look for a job on campus.
- Check out student life events on Captain’s Calendar.
- Find support as an MSVU student by completing Exploring the Mount in Mount 101 or Mount 201 (transfer students).
- Find 2-3 places on campus to study and take a break between classes.
- Attend a class or work out at the Mount Fitness Centre.
Week 3: Study Habits (September 19-23)
September 19-23, 2022
- Complete Digging into Study Skills and Active Learning in Mount 101 or Mount 201 and find something that works for you.
- Start breaking down large assignments into smaller tasks.
- Start planning for midterms.
- Explore different notetaking and reading strategies in Levelling up Your Reading Skills in Mount 101 or Mount 201.
- Check out Library resources and the helpful LibGuides.
- Book an appointment with the Learning Strategist, check out one of their workshops, and/or attend a Supplemental Instruction session.
Week 4: Focus (September 26-30)
September 26-30, 2022
- Make an appointment with the Writing Centre.
- Go to your professor’s office hours.
- Learn more about making writing a process that works for you in Boosting Your Writing Skills in Mount 101 or Mount 201.
- Identify research strategies and approaches for assignments in Ramping up for Research in Mount 101 or Mount 201.
- Set time aside to work on larger assignments.
- Review previous tests, quizzes, notes, and your course outline and make practice questions.
- Create a study group.
Week 5: Balance (October 3-7)
October 3-7, 2022
- Attend a Campus Rec event or Mount Mystics game.
- Take time for yourself to rest and recharge.
- Create a study and motivation playlist.
- Look for ways to help manage the transition and semester in Living the MSVU Life in Mount 101 or Mount 201.
- Find a new study spot on campus.
- Do something that makes you happy.
- Take advantage of your UPass and explore somewhere new in Halifax.
- Support your mental health by making an appointment with Counselling Services or attending a Peer Support event.
Week 6: Assess & Readjust (October 10-14)
October 10-14, 2022
- Congratulate yourself. You’ve made it this far!
- Reflect on the semester to date. How are your grades? How is your well-being? What has gone well? What would you like to change?
- Review feedback from tests and assignments. Identify one change you can make for each class.
- Discuss your progress with your professor.
- Identify and use the support services that are available to you as an MSVU student.
- Review short term goals and revise (if necessary).
- Revisit relevant sections in Mount 101 or Mount 201.
- Make an appointment with a Mount Mentor to discuss your semester.