As of Tuesday, September 7th, 2021, Counselling Services will be opening up for in-person appointments. COVID protocols will be in place and it is mandatory for students to wear their masks during their counselling appointments.
If students are looking to book an appointment with Counselling Services, or have any questions or concerns, Counselling Services can be reached by calling 902-457-6567 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your patience and understanding as we navigate the current COVID-19 situation. Find out more information and updates from Mount Saint Vincent University on COVID-19.
After hour community resources:
- Mobile Crisis Intervention (902) 429-8167 or toll 1-888-429-8167 (toll free)
- Good2Talk NS Helpline for Postsecondary Students: 1-833-292-3698
- QEII (902) 473-2043
- Avalon Sexual Assault Centre (902) 422-4240
- 24/7 referral service: dial 211 or visit www.ns.211.ca
About our Services
Our counselling services team provides free personal and academic counselling to any registered Mount student in a relaxed and confidential environment. Client confidentiality is maintained according to the Canadian Code of Ethics for Psychologists.
Sessions are 50 minutes long and students are eligible for up to ten counselling sessions per academic year.
If you feel your concern is an emergency or if feelings worsen or intensify, go directly to the Health Office, located on the 2nd floor of Assisi Hall, or to your local emergency department.
Our Reception Desk is open from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday, (8:30 am to 4:00 pm from June 1 to August 31).
How to Make an Appointment
Students who haven’t seen a counsellor at MSVU before:
- Book a 30-minute intake appointment with our Intake Worker (call 902-457-6567, email email@example.com or visit the front desk in EMF 108)
- Our Intake Worker will refer you to the most appropriate counsellor or other support services
Students who have already seen a counsellor in Counselling Services:
- Continue to book with your counsellor as usual (call 902-457-6567, email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the front desk in EMF 108)
What to Expect at Your First Appointment
Your first appointment will provide you with an opportunity to talk confidentially with a counsellor who will talk with you about some of the reasons you scheduled the appointment and will evaluate what ongoing services or resources will be most helpful for you.
- Arrive at EMF 108 a few minutes before your scheduled appointment
- Check in at the main desk and fill out an intake form
- Relax in the quiet section until your counsellor comes to get you
- 30-minute, same-day appointments available all semester
- Please call (902) 457-6567, email email@example.com or visit our Student Services Reception desk in EMF 108 on designated drop in day
What to do if You’re Concerned About a Student
Members of the Mount community are encouraged to contact a member of Counselling Services if you’re concerned about a student who is displaying signs of distress or concern. Through informal consultation, our team may be able to suggest possible intervention strategies. Review our Guide to Identifying and Responding to Students in Distress.