What is eduroam?
- Eduroam (education roaming) is a secure wireless service that allows students, staff, and faculty to use their own home institution’s wireless credentials to access wireless network services when visiting any other eduroam affiliated institution without having to set up a guest account.
- Once set up and working at the Mount, it will work at any other eduroam member institution in the world!
Mount Saint Vincent University Users – Configuring eduroam on you device
- Any Mount student, faculty or staff wishing to use eduroam when traveling to other eduroam affiliated institutions should configure and test their device at MSVU prior to leaving.
- Connecting your device to eduroam:
- Use “eduroam” as the SSID (also known as the network name)
- MSVU eduroam will accept your full email address as the username. This should also work for MSVU users when they are at other institutions.
- Should you have an issue with using your email address, use your account followed by @msvu.ca (such as email@example.com) in the username field when logging into the eduroam service at another eduroam affiliated campus.
- Once set up, the eduroam SSID will work on our campus, however Mount users are encouraged to use the normal Mount Wifi network while at the Mount, as it is our primary wireless network on campus.
- If you experience issues while attempting to access wireless service at another institution through the eduroam setup on your device, you need to contact the Mount’s help desk for assistance. Support services at other eduroam affiliated sites you may visit are not required under the eduroam agreement to provide major support – this is the sole responsibility of the home institution.
- Needs to be set up at your own institution prior to visiting The Mount.
- For any individual visiting the Mount, our implementation of eduroam utilizes WPA2/AES.
- Please contact your home institution for any help or support and to obtain setup instructions particular to your institution.
- Also note the Mount’s Acceptable Use Policy applies to guest users. (You should also be aware of any such policies your home institution has in place, as they also apply).
Restrictions of eduroam
- The network restrictions in place are at the discretion of the institution providing the service.
- The Mount provides eduroam users on this campus with basic internet connectivity.
- There is no guarantee that eduroam will provide the same access to resources as the home or visited institution’s standard wireless networks.