MSVU SAFE is a free campus safety app designed to be a one-stop safety shop that connects users to a variety of safety and security tools and resources – all in the palm of your hand.
To make maximum use of the app, users must have location services and calling services enabled. Features include:
- Mobile BlueLight – In an emergency, simultaneously send your location to, and call, Campus Security. They’ll receive your location in real-time and talk to you on the phone.
- Friend Walk – Send your location in real-time to a friend in your phone’s contact list. They can then virtually monitor you on the online map as you travel to your destination. They can also trigger a call to emergency services, if necessary.
- Report a tip – Easily report non-emergency safety or security concerns to Campus Security. If you see something, say something.
- Virtual Walk Home – Send your location to Campus Security so they can virtually monitor you on the online map as you travel to your destination. If you need assistance at any time, you can tap “Emergency” and Campus Security will be alerted.
- Support Resources – Find information about support services both on and off campus, including Counselling and Health Services.
- Travel Safe – Tap a button to call Campus Security directly to request to have a security officer accompany you to your destination.
- Campus Maps – Access MSVU campus maps and parking information, as well as the HRM Crime Map.
- Emergency Procedures – Access emergency plans and procedures
- Class Cancellation – Check the Class Cancellation section of the MSVU website.
- Safety Toolbox – Modify your Mount Alert (emergency mass notification system) settings, get safety tips, link directly to the Safety and Security website, etc.
What about Mount Alert?
This new app does not replace Mount Alert, the University’s mass notification system. Mass notifications will continue to be sent via the existing platform (Everbridge). While all notifications sent via Mount Alert will also appear in the app and your MSVU email, only those individuals who have customized their Mount Alert settings will receive push notifications to their device via text, call, or personal email, which is critical in an emergency situation.
All students, faculty and staff have both the MSVU SAFE app and Mount Alert. Having both is the best way to stay on top of critical safety and campus closure information from the University.
Members of the University community who haven’t already customized their Mount Alert contact information are encouraged to do so. Learn more about Mount Alert.
How do I get the app?
To download the app, search MSVU SAFE in the app store of your Apple or Android device.
Do I need data to use the MSVU Safe app?
Yes. When not connected to Wi-Fi, the app requires data to operate.
Do I need to enable location services for the app to work?
Some features like Virtual Walk Home require location services but other functions do not.
What if I don’t have a phone?
MSVU has taken steps to make sure the campus is as safe as possible even if you’re not able to access the MSVU Safe app. Security services in Assisi are available 24/7 and there are Travel Safe phones accessible throughout campus. There are also emergency telephones placed throughout campus. Locations can be found on the MSVU Safety & Security at MSVU webpage.