902 457 6567 | email@example.com | EMF 141
Do you have a disability and are you thinking of applying to MSVU? Not sure how accommodations work? Are you curious how the accommodations process differs from high school? We are here to help!
If you are considering MSVU, welcome to Accessibility Services! As a new student you will be facing many exciting challenges and changes at the beginning of your university journey. Accessibility Services is here to support you with information, supports and services to make this transition a little easier.
How We Can Help
- Provide support and resources for students with a disability, staff and instructors
- Determine accommodations based on each students’ unique needs. Accommodation planning is a collaborative effort between the student, faculty, and your advisor to find the most effective, efficient, and equitable solutions.
- Provide on-going support for students who have concerns regarding their disability or accommodations
- Help students navigate the funding process with Provincial and Federal Governments to apply for service and equipment grants
- Training and education on assistive technology for reading, focus, notetaking, or obtaining accessible textbooks
Your Accessibility Advisor will work with you to create an appropriate individualized accommodation plan that may include:
- Accommodated test and exam arrangements
- Classroom seating or environmental arrangement
- Alternate formats for course material
- Assistive technology use and equipment loan
- Referral to other MSVU Student Services such as Counselling, Learning Strategists, Peer Mentors and more
Once you are a student at MSVU, to access academic accommodations, you must register with our office by completing our Client Profile Registration Form. You can register with our office at any time throughout the year.
Students must also provide recent documentation from a healthcare professional which includes your diagnosis, the effect it has on your learning, and recommended accommodations. As this documentation should be no more than 1-5 years old, you may wish to check the documentation requirements and take steps to update your documentation before you connect with our office.
Students with permanent disabilities may be eligible to access the Canada Student Grant for Services and Equipment for Students with Permanent Disabilities to pay for services such as tutors or note-takers, and equipment such as a computer or assistive technology. To learn more about the eligibility criteria and application process, please contact your Province or Territory’s student financial assistance office.
If you believe you may require academic accommodations, please contact the Accessibility Services office to go over any questions you may have, gather information or take a campus tour. Accessibility Services can assist and connect you with services, supports, and resources within the MSVU community.
If you are planning to visit campus or take a tour to discover what MSVU can offer you, please go to the Future Students section for more specific information. Please note: Our Campus Tour program has been suspended until at least September 1, 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Check out our virtual campus tour!