What is a minor?
A minor is a secondary area of study within your degree. Minors consist of 3 units.
Student’s enrolled in the 20 unit BA or BSc program must declare a major and a minor.
Professional Degree programs and BA/BSc General Studies do not require a minor, however it is optional. Minors are a great opportunity to focus on an area outside of your degree or major. For example, Michael is completing a BA with a major in History and a minor in Business, while Kate is enrolled in Child and Youth studies with a minor in French.
You must declare two minors if you are completing the BA General Studies program for the 2008-2009 academic year or prior.
What is a concentration?
There are two types of concentrations at the Mount:
- Concentration (Arts & Science): 4 units of study as defined by the department offering the program. Only students enrolled in the BA or BSc General Studies program* are required to declare a concentration.
*For those students following the 2009-2010 Academic Calendar.
- Concentration (Professional): Several professional degree programs require students to complete a concentration of 3 units within the professional program. Please see your department Chair for more information.
|Applied Human Nutrition (Science)||English||Political Studies|
|Applied Statistics||Family Studies||Psychology|
|Biology||French||Public Policy Studies|
|Child and Youth Study||Mathematics||Women’s Studies|
|Cultural Studies||Religious Studies||Statistics|
If declaring a concentration for the General Studies program:
- Select your concentration before your sixth unit of coursework.
- Complete a Declaration/Change of Program form (available online, from the Registrar’s Office or the Student Academic Advisor).
- Have the Student Academic Advisor in the Dean’s Office sign the form.
- Take the completed form to the Registrar’s Office. You must file a signed declaration form with the Registrar’s Office to officially declare your General Studies program.
If declaring a minor in a 20 unit Bachelor of Arts or science major degree:
You can declare your major and minor at the same time by submitting a Declaration/Change of Program form.