As part of our commitment to keep our community safe, we have determined that masks will be mandatory in common indoor spaces on the MSVU campus, including in classrooms, until October 31, 2021. This will cover the key period of transition as students, faculty and staff return to campus in time for the start of the fall semester. Students will keep their masks on for the duration of class. Faculty can remove their masks while lecturing.
Wearing a mask is one of the most effective and simplest measures we can take to help keep each other safe during the pandemic. While, Nova Scotia Public Health may lift its general mask mandate sooner, we will continue to require their use at MSVU until October 31.
MSVU mask requirement details – until October 31:
- Masks must be worn by all students, faculty, staff, and visitors, while in common indoor areas, including:
- the library (except private study rooms),
- computer labs,
- the dining hall and Seton Café (except while seated to eat/drink),
- athletics facilities,
- building lobbies, and
- Masks do not need to be worn while seated in meeting rooms where physical distancing can be maintained, nor while seated in shared office spaces, which have now been evaluated by Facilities Management from a COVID-19 safety perspective (and temporary barriers installed, where required).
- Masks must be worn by students in classrooms for the duration of the class. Students will be able to briefly remove their masks to take a quick drink. Eating will not be permitted in the classroom. Students will need to leave a classroom to eat. There are several spaces across campus where you can sit at a safe distance from others to eat – a list of suggested eating locations is available here.
- Faculty do not need to wear a mask in the classroom while lecturing.
- Should you encounter someone not complying with this mask requirement, seek first to remind and educate. Wearing a mask while in common areas on campus is part of our social contract with one another – we all have a responsibility to keep each other safe. MSVU has long been a caring community and, in keeping with that, we don’t anticipate significant issues of non-compliance.
- Students who cannot wear a mask for medical and/or disability reasons must register with Accessibility Services and provide documentation – contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Faculty will be advised of the students in their classes who are exempt from the mask requirement.
- Faculty and staff who cannot wear a mask for medical reasons should advise Human Resources (staff) or their chair or dean (faculty).
- Students, faculty, staff, and visitors are asked to bring their own masks when attending campus.
Forgot your mask?
If you need a mask in a pinch, you can pick one up at one of the following locations:
- Assisi Security Desk – staffed 24/7 (Assisi Hall main entrance)
- Library Circulation Desk (Main floor, EMF)
- Athletics & Recreation main desk (2nd floor, Rosaria Student Centre)
- Seton Café (2nd floor, Seton Academic Centre)
Non-medical mask DO’s and DON’Ts
- Do ensure mask is made of at least two layers of tightly woven fabric
- Do ensure mask is clean and dry and has no holes or tears
- Do wash or sanitize your hands before and after touching the mask
- Do use the ties or ear loops to put on and remove the mask
- Do ensure your nose and mouth are fully covered
- Do replace and launder your mask whenever it becomes damp and dirty
- Do wash your mask with hot, soapy water and let it dry completely
- Do store your mask in a clean place if wearing again
- Do discard masks that cannot be washed in plastic-lined garbage bin after use
- Don’t reuse masks that are moist, dirty or damaged
- Don’t touch your mask while wearing it
- Don’t hang the mask from your neck or ears
- Don’t leave used masks within the reach of others
- Don’t wear a loose mask
- Don’t remove the mask to talk to someone
- Don’t share masks
- Don’t wear a face shield instead of a mask