By Paula Barry, AVP Student Experience
It almost goes without saying at this point, but I’ll say it again: this September marks the start of an academic year like no other! While we continue the pivot to a mostly virtual online university (for now), there are still so many more exciting things happening across MSVU that we want you to know about. Check out this list of the top ten student experience updates for fall 2020.
1.Your virtual MSVU– Every Mount student has access to this module through Moodle, which includes everything you need to know to be successful learning online. New students: this module is part of your Mount 101 program. Be sure to check it out asap!
2. Personal advisors – All undergraduate students have a personal advisor who can help you navigate our virtual term. If you haven’t heard from your advisor, please email email@example.com and we’ll be sure to be in touch.
3. There are so many cool courses on offer at MSVU this fall. New this year, Intro to Queer Studies (WOMS 1114) is believed to be the first online intro to queer or LGBTQIA++ studies course in Canada. The course examines efforts to construct, control, and constrain sexual and gender identities, while highlighting the efforts of those who have resisted, rejected, and worked to reform institutionalized heterosexuality.
4. We’re pleased to introduce Randy Headley, our full-time Black Student Support Advisor. Randy worked part-time in this role from 2013 to 2017 and we’re pleased to welcome him back! He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Jane Gavin-Hebert is the new Intake Counsellor at MSVU (Counselling Services). Jane has a sexualized violence specialization after spending more than a decade at Avalon Sexual Assault Centre. We’re thrilled to welcome Jane to the team. To make a counselling appointment, email email@example.com.
6. Mental health supports are available virtually. In addition to MSVU’s awesome counsellors offering appointments on their secure video platform, students also have access to all resources and 24/7 support through Healthy Minds NS.
7. MSVU has doubled our financial support to students this year, awarding nearly $3 million in scholarships and financial aid, including $350,000 in additional bursary funding. Apply for an in-course bursary online in October.
8. 30 virtual jobs available now! Our Studentworks financial aid program is going ahead and supervisors are prepared to offer you an exceptional, virtual employment opportunity. Apply now via Career Connects.
9. The MSVUSU and Sexual Violence Prevention Advisory Committee are working on an awesome Consent Week for October, which will include a series of online workshops and the launch of our new consent module. Stay informed by checking out our Student Liaison Katie Allen’s Instagram account.
10. MSVU has a whole host of free software to support you while learning online, including all Microsoft 365 programs (new: TEAMS!), Adobe, and many discipline-specific programs. Check out the full catalogue and download now!
Paula Barry Mercer
Associate Vice-President, Student Experience