Students who are Citizens or Permanent Residents of the U.S. may apply for a Direct Loan through the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. Students must be registered full-time in a degree program. Diploma programs, certificate programs, non-degree programs and the Master of Arts in Women & Gender Studies (offered jointly with Saint Mary’s University) are not eligible for US government loan funding. Additionally, students in any online or correspondence programs (including registration in one of these courses) are not eligible for U.S. government loan funding.
Mount Saint Vincent University’s Federal School Code is: G08363
Steps to Apply
- Complete your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- E-sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) (you must do this annually in Canada)
- Complete any mandatory Entrance Counselling (if not already done while attending the Mount)
- Complete the US Direct Loan 2023-2024 and return it to the Assistant Registrar, Financial Aid (Registrar’s Office) at least 30 days before classes begin.
Loan Amounts & Limits
Know your Loan Limits – before – you apply. Often, first year students are not eligible for more than USD$5,500 for the entire year! A full year at the Mount including tuition, fees and housing can cost up to (or over) CAD$20,000 per school year, so make sure that you can afford school before doing anything else!
How Loan Funds are Issued
- Funds will be disbursed electronically to your student account at MSVU. If you are a full year (September – April) student, the first disbursement will be in mid September (with the exception of first time loan borrowers who must attend classes for at least 30 days before loan money may be issued).
- The second disbursement of funds for all students will be made in the first two weeks of January.
- Once your tuition and fees are paid, any remaining funds are released to you for your living expenses.
Important Policies for U.S. Students
- Refund Policy (R2T4)
- SAP Policy (Satisfactory Academic Progress)
- Consumer Information for Mount Saint Vincent University US Student Borrowers
Currently, the Mount does not participate in a summer loan program for U.S. students.