It’s time to start repaying your loan when you:
- have graduated from your studies;
- have transferred to part-time studies;
- have left school; or
- are taking time off school for more than 6 months.
For the first 6 months after you leave school, you will not have to make payments on your Canada Student Loan or your provincial student loan. Interest, however, does accumulate during this period (at least on your federal loan – each province may offer different interest rates or none at all).
Nova Scotia students
- If you are a Nova Scotia student, you have an interest-free grace period of six (6) months on your Nova Scotia Student Loans (i.e. your provincial loan amounts); that is, interest will not begin to accrue on your loan until you go into repayment.
- Learn about the NS Loan Forgiveness Program
TIP: A student loan is a serious financial obligation that must be paid back. If you don’t treat it with respect, it will impact your credit rating for years to come.