Important Information on the Collection of Social Insurance Numbers

Why am I being asked to provide my Social Insurance Number (SIN)?

Effective for the 2019 tax year, all post-secondary institutions are required to provide the Canada Revenue Agency with Social Insurance Numbers (SIN) on Form T2202 (Education and Textbook Amounts Certificate). A T2202 is produced for all students at the Mount registered in credit courses.


How will SIN information be collected?

We may have already collected your SIN if you received financial aid from the University or were paid by the University as an employee. If we have not previously collected this information from you, we ask that you enter the information via this secure link on myMount. Once we have your SIN on file, you will not be asked to provide this information again.

I am a non-resident of Canada, will I be required to provide a SIN?

Students who are non-residents of Canada will not be required to provide a SIN. The Canada Revenue Agency’s definition of a non-resident is someone who:

  • normally, customarily, or routinely live in another country and are not considered a resident of Canada
  • do not have significant residential ties in Canada
    • you live outside Canada throughout the tax year
    • you stay in Canada for less than 183 days in the tax year

What if I need to update my SIN in the Mount system?

If you have noticed that we have the incorrect SIN or you need to update your SIN, you will need to contact  .

I do not have a SIN. How can I apply for a SIN?

Information on how to apply for a SIN can be found on the Government of Canada’s Employment and Social Development website. The website will provide you with details on eligibility and the documentation you will need in order to apply.

There is no fee to apply for a SIN. The easiest and fastest way to do this is to visit a Service Canada office close to you:

Halifax Service Canada Centre
1800 Argyle Street
Halifax, NS B3J 2V9

Dartmouth Service Canada Centre
Belmont House, 3rd Floor
Dartmouth, NS B2Y 2N4

Bedford Service Canada Centre
Royal Bank Building, 2nd Floor
Bedford, NS B4A 1E7



I have misplaced or can’t remember my SIN. What should I do?

One of the easiest ways to access your SIN is to consult your most recent Notice of Assessment from the Canada Revenue Agency. If this is not available, you can request a confirmation of your SIN from Service Canada. The Government of Canada’s Employment and Social Development website will provide you with details on what documentation you will need to request a confirmation.

The easiest and fastest way to do this is to visit a Service Canada office. The address for Service Canada in Halifax is: 1800 Argyle Street, Suite 101 Halifax, Nova Scotia. Office hours are Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. If you are not in Halifax, you can locate a Service Canada office at the Service Canada website.

I am a temporary resident. Do I need a SIN?

There is no action required on the part of a temporary resident at this time. That said, there may be certain situations in which a student who is a temporary resident will be requested to provide a SIN or an Individual Tax Number (ITN) to the University. You will be contacted by the University in these situations.

Have a question not answered here?

If you have any additional questions about the collection of social insurance numbers by MSVU, please contact