On Wednesday, December 5, 2019, the Alexa McDonough Institute for Women, Gender and Social Justice at Mount Saint Vincent University will host an independent TEDx event spotlighting the power of women.
The evening will be emceed by CBC radio host Portia Clark. Speakers will include:
- Eleanor Beaton, Leadership, mentor and founder of Fierce Feminine Leadership
- Angela Bowden, Writer, speaker and activist
- Stella Bowles, Environmental Activist
- Elizabeth Duff, Public Relations and Content Marketing specialist for SalesRight
- Sara Evely, President of Dalhousie Women in Engineering Society
- Ariel Gough, Social entrepreneur, policy and communications advisor, and speaker
- Jenny Kierstead, Founder of Yoga in Schools and Breathing Space Yoga Studios
- Mia Lockhart, Founder of Girls on Boards
- Paulette Senior, CEO and President, Canadian Women’s Foundation
- Dr. Ingrid Waldron, Director of the Environmental Noxiousness, Racial Inequities & Community Health Project (The ENRICH Project)
- Rajean Willis, Clinical social worker with Correctional Services Canada, Community Mental Health
Services Speaker bios and photos are available on the TEDxMSVU webpage.
In their talks, the speakers will reflect on what it means to be fearless and forward-thinking women.
“I’ve learned that kids do have the power to make change,” says speaker and environmental activities Stella Bowles. “And I’m just getting started.”
Speaker Paulette Senior is the CEO and President of the Canadian Women’s Foundation. “The premise of the Foundation when it was created was to transform the lives of women and to support the underpinning of a women’s movement in Canada. Being able to lead the next iteration of that is an incredible opportunity,” she said.
The event starts at 4 p.m. in the Multi-Purpose Room in the Rosaria Student Centre at MSVU, 166 Bedford Highway [see map].
Tickets are selling quickly. Tickets are $25 for general admission or $20 for students and can be purchased online at: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/tedxmsvu-women-tickets-74474638649. Tickets will also be available at the door.
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TEDTalks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection in a small group. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event.
About the Alexa McDonough Institute
The Alexa McDonough Institute for Women Gender, and Social Justice (AMI) at Mount Saint Vincent University, chaired by professor Dr. Susan Brigham, is a hub of feminist energy, action and research that seeks to achieve equity and improve lives locally and globally. It does this through education, partnerships, action and research under the guidance of a steering committee of volunteers. In keeping with MSVU’s long-standing commitment, AMI’s activities – including the annual Girls’ Conference and International Day of the Girl celebration – promote women’s leadership.
Alexa McDonough Institute