When going through the customs, you will be required to present some documents and then, if there are no problems at the point of entry, you will be guided to the counter or the office of Immigration, where you will receive your permits.

Canada Border Services Agency officer will ask to see your travel documents when you arrive in Canada. Make sure they are not packed in your luggage, and that you have them with you. This will help speed up your entry to Canada.

You should be ready to show the following documents:

  • a valid passport or travel document
  • Your TRV (contained in your passport) or eTA – whichever one is required for your country of citizenship
  • the letter of introduction from the visa office that you received when your study permit was approved (this letter contains your permit reference number and the CBSA officer needs this letter to issue your study permit)
  • a copy of the letter of acceptance from the designated learning institution at which you are accepted to study
  • Confirmation of Enrolment in classes
  • proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada and
  • letters of reference or any other documents recommended by the visa office where you applied.
  • Valid medical exam – IRCC approved physician (you only need this if it was required when you applied for your study permit) Note: a medical exam is only valid for 12 months.

You may not be allowed into Canada if any of your documents are missing or if any of the information on your application or letters of reference is incorrect. Possession of these documents does NOT guarantee entry. All persons must establish that they meet all the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations before being authorized to enter or re-enter Canada.

If there are no problems at the point of entry, the officer will let you enter Canada and will issue your study permit and Co-op Work Permit (if one is required for your program, and if you were approved to receive one).

You should:

  • check the study permit to make sure your personal information is accurate and
  • check the expiry date on your study permit. You must leave Canada by this date.
  • If you were expecting a co-op work permit and were not issued one, please ask the officer for your co-op work permit in case it was accidentally overlooked.

The conditions listed on your permit tell you:

  • the educational level you are permitted to study at;
  • that you must remain enrolled at a designated learning institution;
  • that you must continue making progress toward completing your program;
  • if you are allowed to work in Canada;
  • whether you need to report for a medical examination, observation or treatment;
  • if your travel within Canada is restricted; and
  • when you must leave Canada.

If you wish to change any of the terms and conditions on your study permit, including your level of study, you must submit a completed Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada.

If you are a post-secondary student with a valid study permit, you do not need to submit an application if you want to change your program of study or the institution where you are studying. You need to notify CIC through your MyCIC account if you are transferring from one designated learning institution to another, though.

It is an offence under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act if you do not comply with the conditions imposed on you when your entry into Canada was authorized, or when your study permit was issued.

If you break any of the conditions of your stay, you may voluntarily leave Canada, or you may be subject to an inadmissibility determination or hearing. This could lead to your removal from Canada. You will lose your temporary resident status and any permit you have.