If your question is not listed in any of these pages, please email international@msvu.ca to receive help.

The International Education Centre has 2 Regulated International Student Immigration Advisors.

  • Kay Balite, RISIA ID: S715245
  • Amy Braye, RISIA ID: S718279

IMPORTANT: this page has last been updated on December 2, 2021.

Who needs to file an Income Tax Return (ITR)?

International students who received income in the year 2021 are required to file an ITR. Filing an ITR this year is based on income between January 1 to December 31, 2020. If you only started receiving income after January 1, 2021, you will be filing your ITR in the year 2022.

TIP: If you have your child with you in Canada you may qualify for the Canada Child Benefit.

Watch CRA video series on international students and income tax.

I did not work from January 1 to December 31, 2021. Do I still need to file taxes?

If you did not receive income in the year 2021, it is not necessary to file your Income Tax Return (ITR).

However, it is recommended that you file your ITR, especially if you decide to stay in Canada post graduation. Filing an ITR will allow you to claim and receive government benefits such as GST/HST credit, education/tuition tax credits and childcare benefits.

Where can I get help to file my Income Tax Return?

In response to COVID-19, most Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) clinics are not available. Once they resume, you can get free support with filing your taxes.
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has extended the deadline to file taxes to June 1.

If you decide to proceed with filing your taxes now, you may use SimpleTax, TurboTax, U-file, etc.to file your 2021 ITR. View CRA approved software options.
TIP: Use the same software as last year so your information will carry over to this year’s ITR.

Visit CRA’s web page for detailed information on how to file your taxes.

If you do not qualify for e-file or online filing, you have to file by paper. You can still use the tax software to complete your taxes, but you will have to print your tax summary and mail the tax application and other supporting documents to this address:

Sudbury Tax Centre
1050 Notre Dame Avenue
Sudbury ON P3A 5C2

IMPORTANT: make sure to save a copy of your ITR by downloading the PDF summary report and saving it on your laptop or by sending it to your email.

You can also get help from the Halifax Public Libraries by book an appointment: Free Tax Clinics.

I do not have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). Do I need to have one?

As an international student you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs such as GST/HST, education credits, Canada childcare benefit.

The use of these SINs is temporary and are valid only until the expiry date indicated on the immigration document authorizing you to work in Canada.

You must update your SIN record to ensure that the expiry date always corresponds with the expiry date on your document from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) authorizing you to work in Canada. Once your SIN record has been updated, you will receive a SIN with the new expiry date. Your previous SIN (whether it is a paper format or plastic card) is no longer valid and should be destroyed in a secure manner.

How can I apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)? My SIN is expired or about to expire, how do I renew it?

All Social Insurance Number applications, either new/first time or renewals, are to be submitted via the eSIN application which can be found on the Canada.ca site.  Please ensure that the procedure is followed and that all documents are submitted as directed in order to avoid delays or a rejected application. SIN Online Application Guide (PDF)

You may apply for your SIN online. There is no fee for SIN application.

This is the direct link to the online SIN application.

Prepare to upload copies of at least 3 documents:

  1. a valid primary document that proves your identity and legal status in Canada; and
  2. a valid secondary document to confirm your identity; and
  3. a proof of address

View the list of acceptable primary documents.

View the list of acceptable secondary documents.

View the list of acceptable proof of address documents.


  • The digital copies of your documents must be clear and legible. Documents must include all the information that appears on the front and the back of the document.
  • If the name indicated on your primary or secondary document is different than the name you are currently using, you must also provide supporting documents. View the list of acceptable supporting documents.

Note: Failure to provide required documentation will result in your application not being accepted.

My SIN is expired, can I continue to use it?

Yes. If you have implied status (have applied to renew your permits and are waiting for the decision), you continue to have access to federal benefits and services.

However, you must apply to renew your SIN as soon as possisble. Please refer to the question above to learn how to apply for your SIN online.