GuardMe and MSI

GuardMe International Health Insurance

International Students are automatically signed up and charged for an annual emergency medical insurance through GuardMe International Health Insurance. Your international student insurance is an emergency plan. It does not cover your dental work, glasses, or any pre-existing health conditions. Learn more about your GuardMe International International Health Insurance.

If you have questions about your GuardMe coverage, please call: 902-457-6354 or email, or you can download the GuardMe More Canda Benefit Summary


Nova Scotia Health Card (MSI)

Important Notice:

As a precaution to prevent unnecessary risk of COVID-19, the MSI reception location at 230 Brownlow Ave in Dartmouth is closed to the public.  Please contact by phone 902-496-7008 or toll free 1-800-563-8880. Office hours are Monday to Friday 8 am to 5 pm. You will need information from your Study Permit and your passport when calling, so be sure to have them on hand. (updated on August 27, 2020)


After 12 consecutive months of living in Nova Scotia, you may be eligible to apply for MSI, which is the regular Nova Scotia Health Card — don’t miss this option!

People coming to Nova Scotia from outside the country who hold a Study Permit that is valid for a minimum of 12 months or 1 year, can apply for coverage the first day of the 13th month following the date of arrival in Nova Scotia as a student (providing they have not been outside the province for more than 31 consecutive days except in the course of their studies).

A student arriving in Nova Scotia in July cannot apply until August of the following year. For continuous coverage, a copy of each Study Permit must be submitted to MSI and a declaration must be signed each year. Persons on a Study Permit are eligible for insured services in Nova Scotia only. Services rendered while outside the province would be the responsibility of the individual.

Dependent children under the age of 19 are granted coverage on the same basis as their parents once the applicant has gained entitlement.

To find out more about applying for the MSI, you can visit the Government of Nova Scotia website.

How do I get enrolled on the GuardMe Emergency Health Insurance?

If you are a registered student in fall semester (September start), you are automatically enrolled in the health insurance until August 31 of the following year. Insurance fee is added to your student financial account.

If you did not study in fall semester, but are registered in winter semester (January start), you must email to have the health insurance added to your student financial account. Insurance coverage will run until August 31 of that same year.

I am studying outside of Canada, how do I opt out of the health insurance?

If you are currently studying outside of Canada, you may opt-out of the health insurance by going on the GuardMe website:

Note: opt-out deadlines vary per semester of each year.

How long am I covered by the GuardMe Emergency Health Insurance?

Fall semester coverage starts on September 1 to August 31 of the following year.

Winter semester coverage starts on January 1 to August 31 of the same year.

Summer semester coverage starts on May 1 to August 31 of the same year.

I now have MSI. How can I opt-out of GuardMe International Health Insurance?

Once you obtain your MSI health card, you may opt-out of the GuardMe International Emergency Health Insurance. You must do this before the fall semester fee payment deadline; otherwise, you will continue to be insured under GuardMe for another full year (September 1 to August 31).

In order to opt-out of GuardMe International Emergency, you must contact Financial Services directly and provide them a copy of your MSI health card.

As an undegraduate student, when you opt-out of GuardMe, you will be enrolled under the Campus Trust health insurance, which provides coverage beyond things outside doctor and hospital visits such as prescription drugs, vision care, dental care, physiotherapy and more. Learn more about Campus Trust health insurance. You may be able to opt-out of Campus Trust health insurance if you have another insurance coverage that meets the requirement of our university. Email:

As a graduate student, you are not eligible for the Campus Trust health insurance. It is recommended that you keep your GuardMe health insurance while you have your MSI.

What is Campus Trust health insurance?

Campus Trust health insurance is operated by the Students’ Union. As an international student, you may only enroll in this health insurance if you provide proof of MSI health card; otherwise, you will continue to be covered under GuardMe International Emergency.

Campus Trust provides non-emergency benefits, also known as extended benefits. You will have access to benefits such as prescription drugs, vision care, massages, physiotherapy, dental coverage, etc. Learn more about Campus Trust Coverage.

For further inquiries, please contact the Manager of Health and Dental Plan, Ms. Patti Hutchison,