Dr. Robert Bérard
Office: Seton 571
Phone: (902) 457-6274
Fax: (902) 457-4911
Research and Teaching Interests
- Curriculum and instruction in history and social studies (elementary and secondary)
- History and politics of education
- Private/independent schooling and /home schooling
- Teachers organizations
- Educational policy formation
PhD, History, McMaster University
MA, History, McMaster University
BEd, Social Studies, Dalhousie University
- Robert Nicholas Bérard, “F.J. Gould,” New Dictionary of National Biography, ed. Colin Matthews (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004, article #38882)
- Robert Nicholas Bérard, “A Cardinal for English Canada: the Intrigues of Bishop John T. McNally, 1930-1937,” (Canadian Catholic Historical Association Historical Studies, v. 63 (1997), pp. 81-100.
- Robert Nicholas Bérard and H. Joseph Murphy, “Practice Teaching in Canada’s Independent Schools,” McGill Journal of Education vol. 28, no. 1 (Winter 1993), pp. 13-32.
- Robert Nicholas Bérard, “Bede Jarrett, O.P. and the English Catholic Intellectual Revival,” in G. Berthold, ed., Faith Seeking Understanding (Manchester, NH: St. Anselm College Press, 1991), pp. 171-182.
- Robert Nicholas Bérard, “Processes of Colonial Control: the Bermuda School Question,” in J.A. Mangan, ed., Making Imperial Mentalities: Socialisation and British Imperialism (Manchester: University of Manchester Press, 1990), pp. 184-202.
- Robert Nicholas Bérard, “Archbishop John T. McNally and Roman Catholic Education in Canada,” Vitae Scholasticae, vol. VII, no. 2 (1988), pp. 255-274.
- Robert Nicholas Bérard, “The Evaluation of Student Teaching,” in P. Holborn, M. Wideen, & I. Andrews, eds., Becoming a Teacher (Toronto: Kagan & Woo, 1988), pp. 210-222.
- Robert Nicholas Bérard, “Frederick James Gould and the Transformation of Moral Education,” British Journal of Educational Studies, vol. XXXV, no. 3 (1987), pp. 233-247.
- Robert Nicholas Bérard, “Moral Instruction in Nova Scotia, 1880-1920,” Acadiensis, vol. XIV, no. 1 (1984-85), pp. 49-63.
- Robert Nicholas Bérard, “Grapes of the Cask: a Triptych of Mediaeval Monastic English Historiography,” Studia Monastica, vol. XXIV, fasc. 1 (1982), pp. 75-103.
- Robert Nicholas Bérard, “The Preservation of Regional Cultural Identities: Limits on Federal Involvement,” in J.W.G. Ivany and M. Manley-Casimir, eds., Federal-Provincial Relations in Education: Education Canada (Toronto: OISE Press, 1981), pp. 128-134.
- Robert Nicholas Bérard, “Edward Augustus Freeman and University Reform in Victorian Oxford,” History of Education, vol. IX, no. 4 (1980), pp. 287-301.