The mandate of the UREB is to review the ethical acceptability of research including approving, rejecting, proposing modifications to, or terminating any proposed or ongoing research involving human participants which is conducted within, or by members of, the institution using considerations set forth in the TCPS2 as a minimum standard. The UREB reports to Senate annually but is subject to the requirements of the Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans, established by the Government of Canada’s Panel on Research Ethics. The terms of reference for the Committee can be found within the Senate By-Laws (14.13).
UREB Membership 2023-2024:
- Dr. Sarah King (July 1, 2023 – December 31, 2023)
- Dr. Daniel Seguin (January 1, 2024 – June 30, 2024)
- Dr. Derek Fisher (July 1, 2023 – December 31, 2023)
- TBA (January 1, 2024 – June 30, 2024)
External Community Members (3):
- Mr. Justin Hiltz
- Ms. Brianna Drover
- Mr. David Braha
- Research Ethics Co-Ordinator, Ms. Brenda Gagne
Legal Member (1):
- Member knowledgeable in the law, TBA
Faculty Representatives (10):
- Dr. Derek Fisher, Psychology: October 29, 2021 – June 30, 2024
- Dr. Arron Fraser, Business a& Tourism: July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2025
- Dr. Fred French, Education: July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2026
- Dr. Aine Humble, Family Studies & Gerontology: July 1, 2021-June 30-2024
- Dr. Sara King, Education: July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2025
- Dr. Christine Lackner, Psychology: July 1, 2022 – June 30, 2025
- Dr. Ian Pottie, Chemistry: January 1, 2021-June 30, 2024
- Dr. Mirwais Qaderi, Biology: July 1, 2021– December 31, 2023
- Dr. Daniel Seguin, Psychology: January 1, 2024 – June 30, 2026
- Dr. Will Shead, Psychology: January 01, 2022 – June 30, 2024
- Dr. Patty Williams, Applied Human Nutrition: July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2026
UREB Meetings and Deadlines:
If your ethics proposal requires a Full-Committee Review, please ensure that the proposals are received a MINIMUM of 3 weeks prior to the UREB Meeting.
Please note that:
- Researchers must allow sufficient lead time for research ethics review and clearance prior to beginning any research with human participants.
- No research with human participants or their data can begin until research ethics clearance is granted.
- Time for revisions/clarifications to your application must be factored into your overall research timeline.
- Due to the volume of minimal risk ethics applications that are received and processed, researchers may reasonably expect initial comments from UREB reviewers within 30 days from the receipt of the application.
- Initial comments will be comprised of requests for revisions/clarifications, additional supporting documentation, or approval for the application for ethics approval as presented.
- Researchers should make every effort to highlight requested revisions/clarifications in some form (e.g. bold, highlight or track-changes option). By clearly indicating where revisions/clarifications have been made, the reviewers are able to locate these quickly, resulting in a quicker reply.
- For research ethics applications that exceed minimal risk and therefore require a full committee review, the UREB must receive your application at least 3 weeks prior to a scheduled meeting. Applications will be adjudicated at the meeting and the Chair will then advise of the outcome within ten working days of the meeting (approval as presented, or revisions/clarifications required, or unable to approve as presented.) The rationale will be provided by the Chair.
- Research that does not exceed minimum risk are reviewed on an on-going basis and are usually cleared to proceed outside of UREB meetings. Minimum risk studies normally do not require a REB meeting to obtain clearance.
The UREB normally does not meet in July. Meetings will be convened should special circumstances arise (e.g., some emergent research deemed urgent by the UREB and Researcher; research related to a publicly declared emergency – See REB.SOP.501; or for full committee reviews). Minimum Risk reviews will continue as normal.
August 2023 Hiatus:
The UREB will not be accepting new applications for the month of August 2023 with the exception of some emergent research deemed urgent by the UREB and Researcher, or research related to a publicly declared emergency – See REB.SOP.501. The deadline to submit new applications during the summer is July 27, 2023. New applications received after this date will be processed and sent for review on September 5, 2023.
The UREB will continue to process the following items in August*:
- Revisions/Clarifications for applications already under review prior to July 27th
- Requests for Modifications or Renewals for current studies
- Changes to Study Personnel
- Final reports and file closures
- Unanticipated or Adverse Research Event Reports (including Privacy Breaches related to research studies)
*Note that there may be delays in processing these items due to volume and/or membership leaves (e.g., vacations)
Research Ethics Coordinator – Brenda Gagné – email@example.com
Fall 2023 Meetings
- September 2023 – Cancelled
- October 23, 2023
- November 24, 2023
- December 12, 2023
Winter 2024 Meetings