Canada Research Continuity Emergency Fund (CRCEF) Stage 3 FAQs
1. What is the purpose of Stage 3 of the CRCEF?
Stage 3 is to support direct costs of research that have been incurred to:
· maintain essential research-related commitments during the COVID-19 pandemic; and
· support ramping-up to full research activities as physical distancing measures are eased and research activities can resume.
2. How do I know if I am eligible to apply for Stage 3 CRCEF Funding?
All researchers at MSVU with an active research project are eligible to apply for Stage 3 funds.
MSVU has been provided a notional allocation for Stage 3 funding. To affirm our commitment to EDI practices, the CRCEF Committee members will give priority to applications in these two categories:
· Early Career Researchers (defined as a MSVU full-time researcher who, at the time of application, has either completed their doctoral degree or held a tenure-track appointment within a period of 0 to 8 years, minus any leaves of absence)
· For research that involves marginalized and/or equity-seeking participants, communities or partners.
Applications that fall within the two categories above will be funded to the fullest amount possible (75%) of eligible costs within the notional allocation. Applications that fall outside of these categories will receive equal distribution of the remaining funds within the notional allocation, with the potential to be funded to the fullest amount possible (75%) of eligible costs pending additional allocation from the CRCEF.
3. What expenses are eligible?
The eligible expenses criteria at Stage 3 are:
· unanticipated additional costs that would not have been incurred in the absence of the COVID-19 pandemic and cannot be funded by existing sources of funds;
· for direct costs associated with maintenance and ramp-up of research activities;
· costs borne by research projects.
Only direct costs of research that are extraordinary and incremental to those already covered by existing sources of funds and have been incurred between March 15 and November 15, 2020 will be reimbursed, at up to 75%.
The salaries of research personnel can be eligible for partial reimbursement up to 75% by CRCEF at Stage 3 for the period of August 30, 2020 to November 15, 2020 provided that they meet the Stage 3 eligible expense criteria (see above).
Internet connection, land line, cell phone connection, and equipment for working remotely can be eligible if they meet Stage 3 eligible expense criteria. Additionally, animal per diems for research maintenance and animal purchase costs to ramp-up the population are eligible, provided that they meet the Stage 3 eligible expense criteria.
More information about eligible costs can be found here.
4. What costs are not eligible?
· Administrative costs (e.g., indirect costs, overhead or transaction costs)
· Costs paid through the universities’ operating budget
· Cancellation fees or nonrefundable travel fees
· Ramping down expenses
5. Are lost costs and replacement costs eligible?
Lost costs are not eligible. Replacement costs are eligible if they are paid from a specific research project. For example, if samples spoiled during the pandemic and had to be replaced, then the replacement costs would be eligible, but not the costs incurred for the original spoiled samples.
6. How Do I Apply for CRCEF Stage 3 funding?
Please complete the CRCEF Stage 3 Application Form.
Please see the recordings of the Q&A sessions for more information:
CRCEF Stage 3 Q&A: Recording #1
CRCEF Stage 3 Q&A: Recording #2