The Mount employs a Registered Canadian Immigration Consultant and will ensure that you receive all pertinent information and advice regarding Canadian immigration regulations and processes.

Once you are a registered Mount student, we provided detailed immigration instructions under the International MSVU website and through workshops on various topics throughout the year. Email anytime you have a question about immigration.

In collaboration with NSCC and Dalhousie University, MSVU created a guide on how to write your Study Plan.  View Guide on Study Plan for Initial Study Permit Application.

Initial Study Permit

It’s important to remember that getting your acceptance letter and registering at the Mount is just your first step. All international students studying for more than 6 months require a student authorization to enter Canada. This allows you to live in Canada to attend university.

Contact a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate. To find the closest office, visit the Immigration Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website at

The application process for your study permit (and TRV if required) can take several months, so we encourage you to apply as soon as you have received your Mount acceptance letter. You should apply online or at the closest Visa Application Centre.

Document requirements can vary by country, so do be sure to check your specific embassy/consulate requirements. In order to apply for a study permit, you will need the following documents:

  • A valid passport for the duration of your studies
  • An original letter of acceptance from Mount Saint Vincent University, DLI #: O19301947442
  • Evidence of adequate funds to cover tuition and living costs ($33,000 minimum) – this could be your bank statement, parents’ bank statement, scholarship letter, sponsorship letter, or a combination
  • You may be required to take a medical examination with a doctor designated by the Canadian government. The visa officer in your country will provide more information on this requirement.
  • Provide your biometrics (fingerprints and photograph).
  • A well written Study Plan or Statement of Purpose for wanting to study your program of choice in Canada and an explanation on how you intend to pay for your academic and living expenses.

In collaboration with NSCC and Dalhousie University, we created a guide on how to write your Study Plan.  View Guide on Study Plan for Initial Study Permit Application.


Do not allow your study permit to expire for any reason. If your study permit expires before you have completed your studies, you must renew it at least a month before the expiry date. The International Education Centre can help you with this.

Although U.S. citizens can apply for a study permit at any point of entry into Canada (providing all documents mentioned above), it’s a good idea to get it before you leave home.

Temporary Resident Visa

Visit Citizenship and Immigration Canada’s information on applying for a Temporary Resident Visa for detailed instructions, including application forms, list of documents required, fee payment instructions, etc.

  1. Determine your eligibility

  2. Read the Applying for a Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Instruction Guide (5256) before you begin your application.

  3. Check CIC’s application processing times. It can take weeks or months to process an application. Apply early!

  4. Decide how you will apply. Check the website of the local Canadian Visa Office or Visa Application Centre (VAC) and determine what methods of application are accepted (e.g., online and/or paper applications). Their websites will also list important information, such as:
    • checklist of additional documents you will need to submit with your application
    • how to pay the processing and biometric fees
    • instructions on how and where to mail your documents and how they will be returned to you
    • any additional instructions and requirements
  5. Prepare all of your forms and documents. Review the General Document Checklist [IMM 5484] from the application kit and the Document Checklist from the specific office where you will be submitting your application to find out which documents are required.

    Note: Each Canadian Visa Office may have its own document requirements.Be sure to provide all of the required documents to avoid any delays in your application.

  6. Find out if you need to give your biometrics (photograph and finger print).

  7. Pay your application fee, review and submit your application.

    Follow the instructions from the Canadian Visa Office or VAC where you will be submitting your application for specific instruction on how to pay your fees and submit your application. Each office will have their own instructions.

    Make sure that your application is complete and signed before submitting it, otherwise CIC will return your incomplete application.

    Before submitting your application, it is strongly recommended to make a copy of your application, along with the documentation that you will be submitting, to keep for your records.

Prepare for your arrival: documents you need to enter Canada

Canada Border Services Agency officer will ask to see your travel documents when you arrive in Canada. Make sure they are not packed in your luggage, and that you have them with you. This will help speed up your entry to Canada.

You should be ready to show the following documents:

  1. a valid passport or travel document
  2. the letter of introduction from the visa office that you received when your study permit was approved (this letter contains your permit reference number and the CBSA officer needs this letter to issue your study permit)
  3. a valid temporary resident visa (if required)
  4. a copy of the letter of acceptance from the designated learning institution at which you are accepted to study
  5. proof that you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in Canada and
  6. letters of reference or any other documents recommended by the visa office where you applied.Carry these items and all other valuable papers, cash and traveller’s cheques with you at all times. Do not put them in your checked luggage.
You may not be allowed into Canada if any of your documents are missing or if any of the information on your application or letters of reference is incorrect.Possession of these documents does NOT guarantee entry. All persons must establish that they meet all the requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and Regulations before being authorized to enter or re-enter Canada.If there are no problems at the point of entry, the officer will let you enter Canada and will issue your study permit. You should:
  • check the study permit to make sure your personal information is accurate and
  • check the expiry date on your study permit. You must leave Canada by this date.

This information was taken directly from CIC website:

Understanding the terms and conditions of your study permit

The conditions listed on your permit tell you:

  • the educational level you are permitted to study at;
  • that you must remain enrolled at a designated learning institution;
  • that you must continue making progress toward completing your program;
  • if you are allowed to work in Canada;
  • whether you need to report for a medical examination, observation or treatment;
  • if your travel within Canada is restricted; and
  • when you must leave Canada.

If you wish to change any of the terms and conditions on your study permit, including your level of study, you must submit a completed Application to Change Conditions or Extend Your Stay in Canada.

If you are a post-secondary student with a valid study permit, you do not need to submit an application if you want to change your program of study or the institution where you are studying. You need to notify CIC through your MyCIC account if you are transferring from one designated learning institution to another, though.

It is an offence under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act if you do not comply with the conditions imposed on you when your entry into Canada was authorized, or when your study permit was issued.

If you break any of the conditions of your stay, you may voluntarily leave Canada, or you may be subject to an inadmissibility determination or hearing. This could lead to your removal from Canada. You will lose your temporary resident status and any permit you have.

This information was taken directly from CIC website: