What is exchange?

You will get to study in another country for one semester and earn credits toward your degree. Students accepted for exchange programs pay Mount Saint Vincent University tuition and other fees and retain any Canadian financial aid they may have. Students must be eligible for appropriate entry visas, if required, and are responsible for travel, living and other personal costs, including health care. Financial assistance is available as part of some of the university’s exchange agreements.

Why exchange?

It’s fun!

Why not take the chance to live in another country for a term? Shake up your academics with a fantastic opportunity to:

  • Meet new people who are adventurous and globally curious, like you!
  • Have new adventures.
  • Experience life in another country firsthand.
  • Explore differences between cultures.

It’s smart!

Finish your degree with skills, experience, and awareness that will make you stand out in the job market. Exchanges allow you to:

  • Build your cultural awareness, adaptability, problem solving and leadership skills to set your resume apart.
  • Improve self-awareness and have a better understanding of your place in the world.
  • Learn another language.
  • Grow your professional network and prepare for an international career

It’s unique!

Sure, you can always travel. Going on exchange gives you the opportunity to use The Mount’s network in a pre-established pathway to live in another country, giving you a deeper, more transformative experience. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to benefit from:

  • Established processes.
  • Pre-approved transfer credits from partner institutions.
  • Full support pre-departure and settlement support from experienced advisors at The Mount and your Host university.

How do exchange programs work?

  • First, you should contact and meet with your Exchange Advisor. You can schedule an appointment by contacting international@msvu.ca.
  • To be eligible to apply, you need a GPA of min. 2.5 and sufficient electives free to take. You meet with us and we ensure you meet all the requirements and you help you narrow down the options of where you would like to study.
  • You will need to review the English-language course offerings and get approval from your department chair. Then, you can submit your exchange application and prepare study visa.

Please read the Exchange Process page to know more details.


Will I have to speak another language to do a student exchange?

The Mount has agreements with many universities offering English classes in 16 different countries. While we encourage you to study a language while on exchange, it is not a prerequisite to participate.

Student exchange programs cost a lot. Can I afford to go?
The biggest advantage of student exchange is that you don’t have to pay international student fees – you pay your tuition at the Mount, while our partner university waives your tuition fee. We have also made an effort to choose partner institutions which have a similar cost of living to Halifax. Monthly living expenses range from $300 to $1500. There are also some bursaries and scholarships available. Ask us for details!
If I do a student exchange, will I be able to complete my degree in 4 years?
As long as you plan your exchange well in advance (I recommend students start meeting with us at least one year before going), you can arrange your courses so that you complete your degree on time. You don’t have to go on exchange for a whole academic year – many students go for one semester.
Isn’t participating in the exchange program difficult to arrange and there isn’t a lot of support?
The application process for exchange is actually quite simple. We will assist you in making the best choice and will put you in contact with people at our partner universities who will help you arrange accommodation, etc.. All of our partner universities offer a comprehensive orientation program and many have a ‘buddy system’ – a peer will be assigned to show you around and answer your questions. During your time away from the Mount, we will also be available if you have any questions or concerns, so you can sit back and relax in a foreign country.
Will I be able to study in a field related to my degree?
Students are often sent to universities that specialize in their field of interest. It is recommended that students take full advantage of courses offered. For example, students can study Tourism Management in Austria or enroll in an International Relations course in Estonia. Students also get the opportunity to learn a new language and study a different culture. The experience of studying abroad goes beyond what is learned in the classroom.

Contact us

For general inquiries and booking appointments, please contact international@msvu.ca.

If you already get nominated and have more question about the exchange process, you can contact your Exchange Advisor, Amy Braye, at amy.braye@msvu.ca.