If your question is not listed in any of these pages, please email your International Student Advisor, Kay Balite, kay.balite@msvu.ca to receive help.

Your International Student Advisor, Kay Balite, is certified by the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC) as a Regulated International Student Immigration Advisor. RISIA ID #: S715245.

IMPORTANT: this page, including its sub-pages, has last been updated on April 26, 2020.

My Study Permit will expire before August 31, 2020. What should I do?

If you are in Canada, please submit an application to renew your Study Permit 3 months before your permit expires. Please see our guide on how to renew your Study Permit in Canada.

If you are in your home country and you are not able to return to Canada before August 31, then you have to apply for a new Study Permit. Please see the IRCC website on how to get a Study Permit.

NOTE: Make sure to write a Letter of Explanation to say that you are a returning student. Moreover, prepare to submit your enrolment letter and transcripts as proof of studies. Lastly, make sure that you are registered full-time for fall 2020 and winter 2021 before requesting your enrolment letter and transcripts from the Registrar’s Office.

How do I get my enrolment letter and transcripts to renew my Study Permit and Temporary Resident Visa/entry visa?

For the enrolment letter, fill out the Letter Request Form and email it to registration@msvu.ca.
Note: When filling out the form, you must choose both options:

  • Confirmation of Enrolment Letter
  • and Visa Letter.

For unofficial transcripts, you can download a PDF copy through MyMount. Due to limited services, you may submit an unofficial transcript that is issued by MSVU.

For official transcripts, fill out the Transcript Request Form and email it to transcripts@msvu.ca.

How will studying online impact my eligibility to apply for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)?

IRCC has announced that under the current circumstances, if your in-class courses are being moved to an online-only format because of COVID-19, you’re still eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP).

In response to COVID-19, the Mount has temporarily moved its classes to online delivery. However, students must continue to maintain full-time status during the academic year to be eligible.

If you have a study permit, or have been approved for a study permit for a program starting in May or June, but you can’t travel to Canada at this time due to travel restrictions, you’re also still eligible for the PGWP.

If you’re in this situation, you may

  • begin your classes while outside Canada
  • and complete up to 50% of your program while outside Canada, if you cannot travel to Canada sooner


I have been accepted to MSVU this May/July/September 2020 but I cannot travel to Canada yet. Can I begin my studies without a Study Permit or while waiting for my Study Permit to be approved?

If you are still in your home country or outside of Canada, you may begin studying online without a Study Permit or while waiting for your Study Permit application to be approved.

If you have not submitted an application for your Study Permit, we recommend that you do this as soon as possible because of delays in processing times.

Learn how to apply for your initial Study Permit.

Learn how to submit an online application for a Study Permit.

Can I still submit a Study Permit application so I can come to Canada in September?

Yes, and you should do this as soon as possible. Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) is still processing Study Permit, Temporary Resident Visa, and eTA applications. In response to covid-19, some local visa application centres may be closed; therefore, you must submit an online application.

Learn how to apply for your initial Study Permit.

Learn how to submit an online application for a Study Permit.

I am in Canada and I received the Biometrics Instruction Letter (BIL) as part of my permit renewal process. How can I complete this?

In response to covid-19, Service Canada locations are temporarily closed. Currently, you automatically have 90 days from the day you receive the letter (instead of 30) to give your biometrics.

If you cannot give biometrics within 90 days, use the Web form to inform IRCC.

Your application won’t be refused or closed if you can’t give your biometrics during this period.

I am outside of Canada and I received the Biometrics Instruction Letter (BIL) as part of my Study Permit application. How can I complete this?

If you cannot give your biometrics due to a location closure near you or a service disruption, do not go to another biometrics collection service. Specifically do not go to:

  • Canadian ports of entry
  • other international biometrics collection locations, like a visa application centre (VAC)

If you have a biometrics appointment scheduled

  • at a VAC, the VAC will notify you if your appointment is cancelled
  • at a United States Application Support Center (ASC), all ASCs are closed until further notice

When biometrics collection resumes, you’ll have to make a new appointment at your designated VAC or ASC when they start collecting biometrics again. You won’t need a new BIL.

TIP: Visit www.canada.ca/biometrics for updates on when biometrics collection will start again.

If I drop to part-time studies or take a break due to COVID-19, will this affect my eligibility for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP)?

Summer semesters: (May- June and July-August)

The Mount considers summer semesters as scheduled academic breaks. During these semesters, you are not required to take any classes. Therefore, being part-time and not registering for classes during these months will not affect your eligibility for a PGWP.

Fall and winter semesters (September-December and January- April)

IRCC will take the effects of COVID-19 under consideration when assessing Post-Graduation Work Permit program eligibility. Under normal circumstances, international students must maintain their full-time studies during each academic session of the program to remain eligible for the PGWP.

However, if you are unable to meet this criteria due to reasons related to COVID-19, you will still be considered eligible for the PGWP, provided you meet all the other program criteria. View the complete details on PGWP eligibility and application processes.

IMPORTANT: IRCC will require that you provide a letter from the Mount explaining the circumstances of dropping down to part-time. You must submit this letter along with your PGWP application. Please contact Kay Balite kay.balite@msvu.ca for this letter.