NOTE: Banner images should be placed in this first content block and should be at least 720px wide.


Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that you may have questions about the program, costs and funding, and the application procedure. If you don’t find answers to your questions here, please call or email us.

The Program

What is Curriculum Studies?

The field of Curriculum Studies examines ways to accommodate different student needs and interests by considering how curriculum theory and practice or the educational practice of a particular discipline affects student success.

What is the difference between the MEd, MAEd and RMA?

The MEd is a course-based degree. You can focus your studies on a particular concentration or field by taking courses that relate to that area. Concentrations and fields include the following:

  • General Curriculum Studies
  • Supporting Learners with Diverse Needs and Exceptionalities (SLDNE). This program admits new students in September only. This part-time program can be completed in two years.
    • NEW  Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) We are excited to launch our new Master of Education TESOL program, read more about our announcement. We are currently updating our program information in the University calendar and on our website. If you are interested in pursuing the program, please contact
    • Education of Young Adolescents - This concentration is currently not available as the program is under review.The MEd is ideal for educators who want to begin or advance their careers.

The MAEd is a thesis-based program. In addition to taking courses, you work with a faculty member to research and write an original thesis. The MAEd is ideal for professional educators, or for students who plan to go on to doctoral studies.

The RMA is a research-intensive thesis-based degree. You will work closely with a faculty member to research and write an original thesis. Depending on your educational and professional background, you may also be required to take some graduate courses to complete your degree. The RMA is ideal for students who have already completed a graduate degree—particularly for those who want to go on to doctoral studies.

How long does the program take to complete?

Completion times vary. Depending on course availability, and whether you want to study full-time or part-time, you can finish the MEd in as little as one year, and the MA Ed or RMA in as little as two.

Part-time students have up to five years to complete the program requirements.

Do you offer flexible and distance learning options?

Yes! Many of our students work full- or part-time, have families, and other personal and professional commitments. We offer a variety of learning options, including full- or part-time enrolment and evening classes. Some of our electives are offered via distance education.

If I have an interest in pursuing the MA or RMA in Education (Curriculum Studies), how do I find information about the research backgrounds of potential supervisors? 

Visit the faculty profiles page learn about the academic interests of faculty members. These pages describe our faculty’s research interests, publications, and academic and professional backgrounds.

What careers will the MEd and the MAEd in Curriculum Studies prepare me for?

Our graduates work in a wide variety of fields. These programs will advance the learning of a classroom or resource centre teacher, an educational administrator, an educator in the corporate, not-for-profit, arts, or government sector, a consultant, or a curriculum development specialist.

What is the expected workload?

Graduate students should come prepared to do a greater amount of reading and independent study, compared to undergraduate students.  Classes normally meet once a week in a three-hour seminar format in which students analyze and discuss assigned readings.  Graduate students are expected to go beyond the assigned readings to broaden their knowledge.

Money Matters

Do you offer any scholarships, awards or financial aid?

MAEd, MEd and RMA students are eligible for several internal and external scholarships vetted by the Mount’s Office of Graduate Studies.  Visit the Office of Graduate Studies’ Research and Funding page for more information on scholarships, bursaries, assistantships, and other funding opportunities.

Applicants will automatically be considered for entrance scholarships. We also encourage all applicants to apply for external awards, including Canada Graduate Scholarships.

What are the program costs?

Consult the Graduate Academic Calendar for a full and up-to-date listing of tuition and fees. For an estimate of these costs, visit the Office of Graduate Studies’ Program Costs page.

Applying to the Program

How do I apply?

First, complete the Graduate Online Application form. This page contains instructions on how to complete the form, and how to pay the application fee.

Next, download the Graduate Supplementary Application package. This package will contain information on obtaining two letters of reference and submitting a Statement of Intent.

Do both my references have to be academic references?

Applicants with work experience in the field who have been away from the classroom for some time may use one academic reference and one professional reference.

How should I instruct my referees?

You should provide your referees with the reference form contained in the Graduate Supplementary Application package.  You should request that your referees provide us with specific examples of your abilities, knowledge, professional experience and motivation for advanced study in Curriculum Studies.  We encourage referees to attach a more detailed letter of reference to the reference form. 

Do I need the GMAT?

No, a GMAT score is not required.

What is the application deadline?

The deadline changes from year to year but is usually around mid-February for September entry and November for January entry.  Please consult the Graduate Academic Calendar for the year you are applying. You can also find deadline information on the Graduate Online Application page.

When space is available, we will continue to accept applications after the deadline. If you would like to ask about applying to an upcoming cohort, you can email the department.

May I transfer credits to obtain advanced standing?

If you have completed graduate courses before applying to the program, your file will be assessed on an individual basis to determine which courses might be applied to this degree.

Who makes the admission decision?

The Admissions Office will ensure that your file is complete.  Complete files are then forwarded to the departmental graduate studies committee which makes the final decision.

How can I contact you?

Do you still have questions about our graduate programs, the admissions process, the campus, or life in Halifax? Call or email us—we’d love to hear from you.


Tel: 902 457-6178

Mailing address:
Mount Saint Vincent University
Faculty of Education                           
166 Bedford Highway
Halifax, Nova Scotia  Canada
B3M 2J6

Campus Tours

Book a tour of campus or check out our virtual tour.

Social Media

Join the conversation! Find out more about our programs and life at the Mount.