NOTE: Banner images should be placed in this first content block and should be at least 720px wide.

We're here to help

To start you off, these are some common international students questions that we hear and answer all the time. From application to study permits and working on campus, we are your one-stop shop for all your inquiries. If you don’t see what you’re looking for, please contact us at

1.)  How do I apply to study at the Mount?

You can apply online at After you’ve applied, you will get a confirmation email from the Admissions Office with your Mount Student ID. For any other communication with the Mount, please include this number. If you have any questions about the application process, please contact our Recruitment Office, at 1 (902) 457-5540 or For application instructions, please see: How to Apply

2.) Can I submit my transcripts by email?

Unfortunately, university policy prevents us from accepting these transcripts as official.  In order for us to complete your application, please have your transcripts mailed to us directly from your school or university. Alternatively, your school or university may send them to us by fax (+1 902 457 6498) or provide you with a sealed envelope.

3.) What are the admission requirements?

Admission requirements to undergraduate programs at the Mount always require a minimum of five Grade 12 (or last high school level) academic /university preparatory courses with a minimum of 60% in each subject and an overall average of 70%. Some programs have restrictions as to what these courses have to be.  

4.) What happens if I do not fulfill all academic requirements?

If students are missing an admission requirement, we will assess for an alternate program if eligible. For example, a student applying to Business who is missing Grade 12 Math could be considered for the Bachelor of Arts program. The student can proceed to take a Math course at the Mount, and then switch to the Bachelor of Business Administration program upon successful completion of the course.

5.) How long does it take to have my application assessed?

Once we receive every piece of an application, it will be reviewed within 72 hours. Once an admission decision is made, we will email you with a copy of the acceptance letter. The original will be sent by regular mail to the address provided in your online application.

6.) Can I have my letter of Acceptance couriered to me?

Mount Saint Vincent University recognizes the slow delivery times of some international postal services. Although the university cannot send all acceptance letters by courier, we would like to offer you this option at your cost.

Once you have received the email copy of your acceptance letter, and if you would like to have the original acceptance letter sent to you by courier, please follow the following steps:

Contact DHL or any other international courier service in your country to arrange a prepaid pick-up at this address:

Mount Saint Vincent University
Admissions Office, Evaristus Hall, Room 215
166 Bedford Highway, Halifax, Nova Scotia

Tel: +1-902-457-6432

Notify us by email ( to verify your correct mailing address in your response to us. Please have DHL notify our Admissions Office so that we can arrange for your letter to be ready (phone: +1-902-457-6117 option 1). Please note that you are responsible for all charges which have to be made prior to pick-up.

7.) When is the application deadline for international students?

The Mount offers rolling admission and we accept students as long as you have enough time for your visa application prior to the start of term. Suggested dates are June 25 for September start and November 1 for January start.

8) What if I already have a degree or I have finished some university courses in my own country? Can I transfer course credits? And if so, how?

You will likely be eligible for transfer credits as long as the university you are transferring from is a public institution. When you apply, you must submit your official transcript and course descriptions. Only if the admissions office has received your course descriptions will you be assessed for transfer credits. All course descriptions have to be translated into English and notarized by a third party. Once we have received everything, your course descriptions will be sent to the corresponding departments for evaluation and a recommendation will be made. Please note that you can only transfer a maximum of 10 credits toward a 20 credit degree. This process will take 2 weeks.

9.) Should I come for the fall, winter or summer semester?

For most Mount programs, you can come in any semester. However, it would be ideal to arrive at the end of August so you could take part in New International Student Orientation activities and begin your courses in September. Many courses are only available in the fall and winter terms. 

10.) How do I pay my application fee?

You can pay by credit card online at You can also pay with a certified cheque or via an International Bank Transfer. The bank information for the Mount can be obtained by emailing For other payment options, please visit Payment Options

1.) Where can I find information about the Mount’s programs and degrees?
The Mount offers 35 undergraduate degrees and 13 masters programs. We also offer more than 200 credit courses and 15 complete programs through distance learning. To find out more about programs and degrees at the Mount, please visit the website

2.) What is a Co-operative Education program?
Our Public Relations, Tourism and Hospitality Management programs have a mandatory co-operative (co-op) education component, and our Business program has an optional co-op. Co-op programs allow students to gain practical work experience during their studies. To read more about co-op programs, please visit the co-op website

3.) Which courses should I choose?
To choose required and elective courses for your degree, you need to refer to the latest academic calendar. The electronic version is available online. We also encourage you to frequently contact your academic advisor for academic advising to make sure that you are on the right track to acquiring your degree and courses. If you are in the country, take advantage of our Early Advising Registration event each spring/summer that sends out an information package to help with this.

4.) How long does it usually take to complete one degree at the Mount?
Depending on your program and the number of classes you take each semester, it takes on average four years to complete most undergraduate degrees.

5.) Is the Mount recognized by immigration as a Higher Education Institution?
Yes, and we have a Certified Immigration Consultant on staff to help you navigate through the processes of applying for a study permit, work permit, entry visas or immigration applications to Canada after you graduate. The Mount’s Designated Learning Institute (DLI) number is O19301947442.

1.) What are the language requirements for studying at the Mount?
To be a full-time student at the Mount, you are required to have one of these test scores: IELTS 6.5 (with no individual score below 6.0), TOEFL 84 (with no individual score below 21). You can visit our webpage to learn more Undergraduate Language Requirement

Students who are close to meeting our requirements (for example, IELTS 5.5 or TOEFL 68) may enrol in our Academic Foundations Program or University Bridging Program. The successful completion of these courses allow students to study full-time the following semester without writing another test.

2.) Can I apply for the Academic Foundation Program (AFP) or the University Bridging Program (UBP)?|
AFP - As long as you have an acceptance from the Mount and if you have a TOEFL (iBT) of 68 (no score below 17) or an IELTS of 5.5 (no score below 5.0), you can register to our Academic Foundations Program, which is the first step in your academic journey. This is a 25 hour a week intensive English program that provides students with the introductory academic skills necessary to be successful.

UBP - If you have a TOEFL (iBT) score of 81-83 (no score below 20) or an IELTS of 6.0 (no score below 5.5) plus an acceptance from the Mount, you can register for the Univeristy Bridging Program. This 3 months long program (12 hours of instruction per week with a total of 156 hours of instruction per term) allows students can take one academic course while working on their English proficiency. You need to register for either of these courses separately by contacting our ESL Coordinator,

For more information on our English Academic Programs, please visit

1.) How much does it cost for international students to attend the Mount for one academic year?

Mount Saint Vincent University calculates tuition and other fees based on the number of registered courses. Tuition is in Canadian dollars and are due at the beginning of each semester. For more information about finances, visit our financial page: Tuition & Other Fees.

Undergraduate tuition

Mount Saint Vincent University operates on a fee per course system with each class costing $770.08 plus the international student differential of $770.08. Your estimated fees for one full academic year (two semesters from September to April) will include the following: 

International Tuition (based on 10 courses or 5 units): $15401.6

Housing & Meals: $9,782 

Books & Supplies: $1,000

Health Insurance: $618

Extra Fees: $567        

Total estimated cost: $27,368.60

Graduate tuition

Mount Saint Vincent University operates on a fee per course system with each class costing $964.9 plus the international student differential of $770.08. Your estimated fees for one full academic year (two semesters from September to April) will include the following: 

International Tuition (based on 10 courses or 5 units): $17,349.80

On-Campus Housing & Meal Plan: $9,782

Books: $1,000

Health Insurance: $618

Other fees: $567

Total estimated cost: $29,316.80

Summer Session I & II

Fees for both summer semesters (May to June and July to August) are approximately equivalent to one semester of tuition and fees noted above.

Online Learning

Fees for distance and online learning students cost $100.00 per course on top of regular tuition.

2.) How do I qualify for a scholarship?

Mount Saint Vincent University has one of the best scholarship programs for students including international students. This year over 2 million dollars were offered to academically qualified students. If you have graduated from high school within the last two years and have not pursued academic work before studying at the Mount, you are eligible for an entrance scholarship. Apply to study at the Mount by March 1st and the scholarship application is automatically assessed as long as you have all your documents in on time and you fulfill all requirements. You need a minimum average of 80%. For more information on other available scholarships, please refer to the website for more current information. 

Undergraduate Scholarships

Graduate Scholarships

3.) Will the Mount refund my fees if my student permit is rejected?

Yes. If your authorization was refused but you have already transferred your tuition fees to your Mount student account, most of your fees will be returned. The application fee and the confirmation deposit of $275.00 are non-refundable. If you have already registered for classes, tuition fees will only be returned if you drop/remove your courses by a certain date. For more information, please consult: Refund & Withdrawal Policies.

4.) Am I eligible for financial aid?

Yes. International students coming directly from high school may be eligible for our bursary programs. Bursaries are need-based awards intended to assist students in financial difficulty with the costs of attending Mount Saint Vincent University. 

All bursaries awarded through the Mount require a formal application and includes specific and detailed information. Applications must be received in the Financial Aid Office before the deadline on the date stated on the form. In general, November 1st is the deadline for January admission and June 1st is the deadline for September admission.

1.) What are the requirements to enter Canada as an international student?
Before coming to Canada and attending the Mount, you must apply for and obtain a valid study permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC). To learn more about CIC, visit
Find the nearest Canadian embassy or consulate to you Visa Offices Outside Canada

2.) How long does it take to apply for a study permit or a work permit?
It can take you up to three months or more to get your study permit and temporary resident visa, so apply as early as you can.  

3.) Do I need a work permit in order to work on campus? Am I allowed to work off campus?
You are allowed to work either on campus or off campus with your study permit. You do not need to apply for a separate work permit in Canada as a student. However, you must maintain full-time status as a student and be in good academic standing to be allowed to work.

4.) What if my student visa is going to expire soon?
You must always have a valid study permit, so if it is going to expire before you finish your degree, you must apply to extend it three months before it expires. Assistance with permit and visa renewals are available in the International Education Centre located in Seton Annex Building. You can also contact our International Student Advisor by email.

5.) Can I work in Canada after I graduate?
Yes, you are entitled to work for up to three years in Canada after you complete a degree program. To apply for this program, you must have proof of graduation. When you are ready to apply, you should make an appointment with the International Student Advisor.

6.) If I work, do I have to claim Canadian income taxes? If so, how can I do that?
Yes. If you work here in Canada, you have to claim Canadian income taxes every year. You may be eligible for a tax refund and you will be eligible for a GST rebate (about $200). A workshop with all the information you need to file taxes will be held by the International Student Advisor every March.

1.) Do I have to buy medical insurance while studying at the Mount?
International students must purchase medical insurance through the Mount. You will automatically be signed up for it and charged for it. After 13 consecutive months living in Nova Scotia, you will be eligible to apply for the regular Nova Scotia Health Card—don't miss that option!

2.) What exactly does my medical insurance cover?
Your international student insurance is an emergency plan. It does not cover your dental work, glasses or any pre-existing health conditions.

1.) Where can I live when I’m studying at the Mount?
You have to choose to live on-campus (in residence) or off-campus in a rental apartment, house or with a local family. You could also share an apartment or house with other students. That decision is totally up to you. However, we encourage you to live on campus and become involved in campus life. You should apply for housing early, to ensure you get the room you want. If you have questions about on campus housing, please call our Housing Office at
(902) 457-6351, or email Our housing applications are online Residence Applications

2.) If I’m going to rent an apartment off campus, what do I need to know?
Most apartments in Halifax require you to sign a 12-month lease. Make sure you understand the agreement of the lease before you sign it and you know what is included in your rent. For example, rent that includes heat and hot water would keep your extra expenses to a minimum. For more information about renting, please contact the International Student Advisor.

3.) What is a meal plan at the Mount?
The Mount offers students with two types of meal plans: an All-You-Care-To-Eat meal plan or Swipe & Save. For convenience, the All-You-Care-To-Eat meal plan allows students to dine either five or seven days a week, three times a day. The Swipe & Save plan is a virtual account where you place money on a card and can use it to buy food on campus. With a meal plan, you do not need to carry cash or a debit card, only your Student ID card. A meal plan is especially convenient if you live in residence or you live somewhere else but don’t like to or have time to cook.

4.) Where can I find information about current and upcoming events and activities?
Every year, the International Student Office and International Student Society plan various indoor and outdoor activities for international students. From International Student Orientation, which captures your very first experience at the Mount and Halifax, to Multicultural Night you will be sure to enjoy events on campus!

1.) Where is the university located?
Mount Saint Vincent University is located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, on Canada’s east coast!
For tourist information, please visit or

2.) Can I assign authority to my parents or friends?
Canada Privacy Law prevents us from giving out any information on our students. If you want your parents, a friend or an agent to access information on your application or pick up your letter of acceptance, please assign authority by filling out this form Student Information Release Form and then sending it by email or in person to the Registrar’s Office. The email note has to be sent from the email address we have on file for you, the student.

Do you have other questions not found in our FAQ? Email us at