Job Search Resources
Job Search Resources
Resume and Cover Letter
- Resume Critique Handbook (includes sample cover letter and resumes)
- Action Verbs for Resume (pdf)
- Constructing an Effective Cover Letter
- Creating a Dynamic Portfolio (pdf)
- CCR: Identify Your Skills Worksheet (pdf)
- The Dos and Donts of creating a winning resume (pdf)
- Resume formatting checklist (pdf)
- Transferable Skills (pdf)
Job Interview Preparation
- Employment Rights – Minimum employment rules that employers and employees in Nova Scotia have to follow.
- Adzuna- Adzuna is the “google for jobs”, searching hundreds of different job sites and bringing together all of the local vacancies into a single, easy-to-use search engine
- 2015 Business & Tourism Career Week panels (video)
- Canada’s Top Employers for Young People
- Canada’s Top 100 Diversity Employers– This website provides a list of Canada’s best diversity employers. Click on each employer to find out why they made the list.
- The Career Directory– Allows graduates to match their degree or diploma with employers that recruit grads with their academic background.
- Careers Nova Scotia – This website offers several resources for job searching and career planning within Nova Scotia.
- Eluta New Graduate Job Search – Enter your degree and field of study and see which employers are looking for your skill set. Learn more about which grads are hired and the types of positions available, including summer and co-op work term possibilities.
- Fusion Halifax – Networking Group – A resource that will help you build connections, get involved, find employment, activate ideas and promote issues.
- Halifax Chamber of Commerce (Events) – Upcoming event listing that provides an opportunity to gain new business knowledge while making valuable connections across the community.
- Halifax Connector Program – connecting newcomers to Canada with local business leaders.
- Job Applications – Job seeker’s resource that provides many printable and online applications for financial institutions, retail and department stores, pharmacies, grocery stores, and other large Canadian businesses.
- JobCareer – JobCareer allows students to search for jobs from thousands of company recruitment pages and job board sites, saving the trouble of having to visit each site individually. Students can also upload and manage their resumes which can be discovered by potential employers.
- List of prospective employers
- NS Start Program (Financial Incentive) – A program that encourages employers to hire Nova Scotians requiring work experience or apprenticeship support.
- One Nova Scotia Youth Employment Program- This program matches recent graduates with employers. Venor Search Group will learn about the interests, education, and experience of graduates, and then match them with an employer.
- Opportunities to Work From Home– This handout offers 70 validated work-from-home opportunities, from telephone-based work to virtual assistants to translation, e-learning, and gaming.
- ResearchGate – A career resource for international science research positions. Find and apply for jobs in science, research and higher education from around the world.
- Work Smarts (Graduate Employment Program) – Employment program aimed at hiring recent university graduates looking to obtain work in their chosen field of study.
Job Market Trends and News
- You can find more information on job market trends and news here.
- – Provides an analysis of the local labour markets and an assessment of local employment-related events.
- – provides current labour market conditions, earnings, and future employment prospects according to occupation.
- The Occupational Outlooks have been updated for 2015 on the web site. Under , if you choose theoption, there are two choices:
- Option A allows you to pick an occupation (you can use the National Occupational Classification list presented), and see the outlooks for that occupation for each area of the country on one page.
- Option B allows you to choose a specific area and see outlooks for all occupations for that area on one page.