A Gift in Your Will
A bequest to Mount Saint Vincent University is the simplest, and most popular, way to leave a lasting legacy to the university. There are three basic types of bequests:
- Designating a specific sum of money, stated percentage of your estate, or a specific property such as real estate or securities to MSVU.
- Choosing to direct all or a part of the balance of your estate to the Mount after other specific gifts, debts, taxes and expenses have been paid. A residual bequest ensures that you have complete control over the disposition of your estate.
- Designating all or a share of your estate to MSVU in the event of the prior death of other named beneficiaries.
• Can offer significant tax relief to a donor’s estate.
• The satisfaction of providing a future gift while retaining full control of property.
• A charitable tax receipt is issued by MSVU for final income tax return.
Sample Gift in Will Wording:
“To pay to Mount Saint Vincent University (Charitable Registration Number 11904 8049 RR0001), a registered charity located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, _____% of the residue of my estate [or the sum of $_____]. This gift is to be used for the general purposes of Mount Saint Vincent University.”
The information provided is general in nature and is not intended to be a substitute for professional legal or financial advice. We recommend that you consult with your legal, accounting or financial advisors on the option that is best for you and your family.
If you wish to direct your gift to a specific area or purpose, including an endowed scholarship, bursary or award, please contact Anne Thibodeau, Manager, Philanthropy, at 902-457-6270 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your wishes and receive more detailed information.