Student records are reviewed at the end of the fall, winter and summer terms for academic progress. Students’ academic standing is assessed once per year when winter term results become available.
Good Academic Standing
Good academic standing is a Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) of 1.7 or higher.
Students who achieve a Term Grade Point Average (TGPA) below 1.7 in their fall term grades will receive a letter from the Academic Advising Office, notifying them that they are on Academic Alert.
Academic Alert is not an academic standing and is not recorded on the student’s academic transcript. It is an early alert that a student may be in academic jeopardy if her/his academic progress does not improve and is an indication that academic advising should be sought.
Students with a CGPA of less than 1.7 and greater than or equal to 1.0 who have attempted at least 3.0 units, will be placed on academic probation.
Students on academic probation:
- are required to meet with a Student Academic Advisor to have their course registration approved;
- may continue to take courses and will normally be restricted to registering in a maximum of 4.0 units per academic year; and
- are required to register in and successfully complete the Student Success Course, UNIV 0001.
Students who achieve a CGPA of 1.7 or higher by the end of the following winter term will be returned to “good academic standing.”
Students on academic probation who do not achieve a TGPA of 1.7 by the end of the following winter term will be academically suspended for a 12-month period.
- Students on academic probation whose TGPA is less than 1.7 will be academically suspended for a 12-month period.
- Students whose CGPA is less than 1.0 and who have attempted at least 3.0 units will be academically suspended for a 12-month period.
Students who have been academically suspended for a second time:
- will not be permitted to apply for reactivation for at least two academic years; and
- must meet with a Student Academic Advisor prior to any reactivation.
Students seeking reactivation following suspension are required to meet with the Student Academic Advisor prior to any reactivation. Students will be reactivated on academic probation and special conditions of reactivation may apply.
- Students require a CGPA of 1.7 to graduate.
- No one will be allowed to graduate while on academic probation.
- Additionally, students must meet specific departmental GPA requirements for graduation.