Graduate Academic Calendar Header

Students enrolled at Mount Saint Vincent University and wishing to take courses at other institutions for credit must obtain formal approval on a Letter of Permission (LOP) form prior to registering at the host institution.

A Letter of Permission (LOP) may be approved providing the following conditions are met:

  • students must be registered in courses at the Mount; exceptional cases will be considered on an individual basis;
  • student is in good academic standing and has successfully completed 3.0 units of coursework at the University;
  • student has not exceeded the allowable number of transfer credits of (2.0 units) of any graduate credential;
  • course at the host institution is acceptable for transfer to the student’s academic program.

The following are conditions under which LOP requests are not normally granted:

  • student is not registered in a degree, diploma, or certificate program at the Mount;
  • credit does not meet program and/or major requirements at the University;
  • student is not in good academic standing at the Mount;
  • student has been academically dismissed from the University;
  • credit was taken at another institution without prior approval of the LOP;
  • course is offered at the Mount during the session being requested except in the following situations:
  • schedule conflict that cannot be resolved
  • course at the Mount is full
  • course at the University is not offered through Distance Learning
  • taking the course at the Mount would cause undue hardship

A grade of “P” (pass) will be assigned to all LOP credits, except for credits taken while in an approved formal exchange program, which may transfer in an alpha format and will be considered in the Mount’s GPA based on program requirements. If the host institution’s grading scheme is in numeric format, marks will transfer in as “P”, which holds a neutral GPA value.

Note: Upon approval of the LOP by the Registrar’s Office, the course is added to the student’s academic transcript. If the student does not take the course she/he must submit, to the Registrar’s Office, written proof from the host institution that the course was not taken in order for the course to be removed from the transcript.

Students with questions or concerns about Letters of Permission may contact the Registrar’s Office at

Academic Note: This web-based calendar information is applicable for the 2021-2022 academic year which runs from September 01, 2021 to August 31, 2022.

For information on previous years, please consult the University Academic Calendars web page.

Copyright Mount Saint Vincent University. All Rights Reserved – Disclaimer