Information for Tourism Work Experience Students
The tourism & hospitality management work experience program allows you to integrate academic studies with related work experience and gives you an opportunity to determine career goals. You will also have an opportunity to build on previous experience while maintaining flexibility in your academic scheduling.
You will complete one work experience term (THMT 2299) if you are in the Diploma in Tourism & Hospitality Management program and two work terms (THMT 2299 and THMT 3399) if you are in the Bachelor of Tourism & Hospitality Management program.
Each work experience term:
- can be paid or unpaid;
- can have the hours accumulated by more than one position and/or employer; and
- must be related to the tourism & hospitality industry.
You meet the requirements for the work experience route if you fall under one of the following criteria (for Bachelor degree students):
- you are a part-time student;
- you are completing the degree through distance learning;
- you have 7.5 units or more of transfer credits; or
- you are a full-time student with at least two years of full-time industry experience prior to beginning your degree.
Note: All Diploma students must complete the work experience route.
Work Experience Route Requirements
In order for you to successfully complete your work experience term, you must provide the following information to the Co-op Office:
- a job description for the position(s) you have secured, related to tourism & hospitality;
- a final work experience report (see guidelines below) and;
- a confirmation of 455 hours on company letterhead or an email from your supervisor.