Planning for the fall – A message from President Mary Bluechardt (May 4, 2020)
I write to you today to extend a warm welcome to the Mount Saint Vincent University family and share an update on the fall 2020 term.
No doubt this is not how you had envisioned the lead up to your start at MSVU. That said, I want to remind you of three things:
1) Your program will start this fall. MSVU will offer a full slate of high-quality programs starting on time this September. We don’t yet know exactly what this fall will look like (whether we’ll be online, face-to-face, or somewhere in between), so we are planning for various scenarios. Of course, final decisions about fall mode of delivery will be based on the latest guidance from Nova Scotia Public Health. We will update you as soon as we can.
Worth noting: We are fortunate at MSVU to be a leader in distance education. We have a long, strong and pioneering history in remote program delivery, dating back almost 40 years. It means we have a really solid online foundation from which to build.
2) The situation we find ourselves in will be short lived, while your MSVU experience will be a long and rich one. The need to be physically distant from one another and avoid gatherings won’t last forever. In fact, you’re going to meet some amazing new life-long friends and mentors over the next several years. And once you join the MSVU community, you’re a part of the family for life!
3) We are here to help you. Across our academic programs and support services, we are working on innovative new ways of ensuring you’re supported no matter how we roll out the fall term. We’re also planning a new personalized advising program through which we are going to individually contact every single incoming and returning MSVU student over the course of the summer to make sure you have what you need to succeed.
In the meantime, I encourage you to check out the Centre for Academic Advising and Student Success for help selecting or registering for courses. They are a wealth of knowledge and happy to address any questions you may have.
Want to get a head start? Mount 101 is an interactive online program that introduces students new to the University to all you need to know to have a successful start. This program features everything you need to know to be a student at MSVU. It will roll-out in July for students joining MSVU this fall. Stay tuned!
Take a course this summer
If you’d like to get started a little early, we have some fantastic online courses starting this July (known as Summer Session II at MSVU) – for example:
- CHEM 1005 – Chemical Concepts
- COMM 2211/PBRL 2211 – Intro to Public Speaking
- CULS 2203 – History of Rock and Roll
- PHYS 1120 – Intro Astronomy 1: Sky & Planet
- SOAN 1502 – Questioning Society
- SPAN 1101 – Spanish Language and Culture
- WOMS 2231 – Women and Culture
We appreciate entirely that the uncertainty is challenging. We will share another update as soon as we can.
Rest assured, MSVU is here for you.
Frequently asked questions
Are campus tours still running?
Your health and safety is our top priority. We have suspended all campus tours until further notice. Check out our Campus Tour Videos to explore our academic buildings and residence options. We will let you know as soon as our campus tours program is up and running again.
Questions? Email email@example.com
I’m a prospective student with questions about my application, registering for courses, etc. Who do I talk to?
We are committed to ensuring prospective students can apply and register for courses.
• Prospective undergraduate students can contact firstname.lastname@example.org
• Prospective graduate students can contact email@example.com
How can I connect with a member of the recruitment team?
Our recruitment team has created a @NewToMSVU Instagram account. They’ll be doing live Q&As, posting important admissions information and deadlines, and giving you a glimpse into life at MSVU through photos and stories.
Members of our recruitment team are also holding virtual office hours. Send an email to schedule an appointment!