Frequently asked questions

Do I need to come to work?

The University has shifted to virtual service delivery (in addition to remote academic program delivery already underway). No faculty and staff are permitted on campus at this time, with the exception of a very limited number of essential operational on-campus service providers (for example, Residence Life, Health Services, Security, some Facilities staff). Employees who have been deemed essential on-site operational personnel have been contacted by their managers.

All other MSVU employees are required to work from home. Information Technology & Services has developed a new “Working From Home” intranet page featuring tools and links to support resources. This page will be updated regularly, so check it often if you are working from home. We thank all employees for your cooperation as we navigate these challenging times.

I need to go to my office on campus. Can I?

For safety and security purposes, anyone requiring access to campus (for exceptional circumstances) will need to contact their supervisor or Dean at least 24 hours before access is required to explain what space must be accessed and why. Requests will then be sent to the Vice President Administration for review/triage. Sign in/out will be required via the Security Desk in Assisi Hall. Outside building locks have been changed to support implementation of this temporary safety protocol. FOB access has been removed.

What do I do if I am experiencing symptoms?

If you are experiencing any flu-like symptoms – whether or not you believe them to be related to COVID-19 – you should stay at home and see a healthcare professional as you deem appropriate. If you are showing symptoms related to COVID-19, you are encouraged to consult the Nova Scotia government’s self-assessment guide, which will dictate whether you should report your symptoms to 811.

811 Self-Assessment Guide website

I am not having symptoms, but I am feeling anxious about COVID-19 and want to talk to someone. Who should I contact?

This can be a stressful time. If you or a family member would like to speak to someone, the Employee and Family Assistance Program, (EFAP) can provide you with immediate and confidential help for any work, health or life concern.

To access your EFAP:

  • By phone: 1-800-387-4765
  • By website:

Will my pay be continued?

All permanent faculty and staff will continue to be paid – there will be no interruption to your pay or benefits. The University will continue to operate virtually, with faculty and staff working from home to provide critical services to students, faculty and staff.

Contract employees will continue to be paid as outlined in the terms of their contracts. We are monitoring this situation closely and decisions to extend or amend contracts will be determined as operational requirements are identified. Please speak to your manager, supervisor or Human Resources for further information.

If I postpone or cancel my vacation, can it be carried over?

Yes, any vacation cancelled due to COVID-19 can be carried over. Please speak to your manager and complete the Vacation Carry-over Form and submit to HR.

If am self-isolating due to recent travel or potential community exposure to COVID-19, but not sick (or without symptoms), will I be expected to work from my home?

Yes, where possible we will ask employees to continue to work from home during self-isolation. Please check with your manager to determine this.

If I am experiencing symptoms or am sick, will I be expected to work from my home?

No, if you are experiencing symptoms or are sick, you will not be expected to work from home.

If I cannot work due to illness while working at home, will I have to use my sick time?

If you are unable to work due to becoming ill with COVID-19 or another illness, you will be expected to follow your work group’s normal sick time protocols. This means that in most cases you will be required to use sick time, but you will be paid for this time.

If I become ill while working from home, do I need a sick note?

A sick note will not be required. However, you are required to notify your manager as outlined within your collective agreement or employment guidelines if you are unable to attend work, even while working from home. Please contact Human Resources for further information