NOTE: Banner images should be placed in this first content block and should be at least 720px wide.

Student authorization (study permit)It’s important to remember that getting your acceptance letter and registering at the Mount is just your first step. You must also get permission from the Canadian government to study in Canada. Contact a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate. To find the closest office, visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) website at

Before coming to Canada and attending the Mount you must apply for and receive a study permit from CIC. Students from selected countries also need a temporary residence visa (TRV). The application process can take eight weeks or longer, so apply early. Although U.S. citizens can apply for a study permit at border crossings and points of entry, it’s a good idea to get it before you leave home. Applications containing all documents must be presented. Carefully go over the document checklist on the CIC website to ensure that you have all of the proper application documents.

We recommend that all international students have their study permits in hand before they leave home. New students must get one from outside Canada. You must update your passport first, because CIC will not validate a study permit past the expiry date of your passport. If a TRV is required, you must apply for a multiple entry visitor’s visa, to be valid to the end of your degree. Get all of your documents in order before you leave home.

If there are delays in getting your permits, contact You may need to postpone your attendance to another semester. New semesters begin every September, January, May and July.

All international students require a student authorization to enter Canada. This allows you to live in Canada to attend university. Under no circumstances should a student come to Canada without a valid student authorization. Make sure that you read the terms and conditions of your authorization carefully.

In order to apply for a study permit, you will need the following documents:

  • a valid passport
  • an original letter of acceptance from Mount Saint Vincent University
  • evidence of adequate funds to cover tuition and living costs for you
 and your dependents, including return transportation
  • a letter from your sponsor
  • in some cases you may be required to take a medical examination with a 
doctor designated by the Canadian government. The visa officer in your 
country will provide more information on this requirement.
  • Please see the complete document checklist on

Do not allow your study permit to expire for any reason. You must renew it at least a month before the expiry date.

To renew your student authorization, you will require evidence of adequate funds to live and study in Canada, plus a passport valid for the rest of your stay. Other documents may be requested. To extend your authorization, you can apply while in Canada. You do not need to apply from your home country.

Application packages to renew your study permit are available at the International Student Office, Evaristus 202/203. Forms are also available on the CIC website.

If your Mount program has a co-operative education component, please note that you must also obtain a work permit.